Security deposit

Answered!
Debbie18
Level 5
St Just, United Kingdom

Security deposit

I have previously let my place through an agent wso I did not have to think about deposits. But, having read some of the posts here, I am wondering whether I would be wise to ask for a Security deposit. If so, how much and how does it work? Is it held by AirBnb? I haven't found details on the site of exactly how the process works. If it is there, a link to the page would be great.

Thank you

Debbie

1 Best Answer
Clare0
Level 10
Templeton, CA
115 Replies 115

You are totally correct in that airbnb doe NOT have any security for the host. We had the guest place a €2,000 eruo deposit and the guests broke many things and stole items like Sky cards and it cost us more than the €2,000 to correct all the damage and airbnb were NOT interested and we got back nothing from airbnb and that is why we would NEVER use them again unless the guests agreed tp pay US the security deposit direct and leave airbnb out of it.

It's doesn't matter you will never see a penny of the security deposit - Airbnb doesnt pay out.

I was promptly paid by AirBnB once the time period for the guest to respond in the Resolution Center had passed.  I documented the damages with photos and receipts for the replacements.  I had no security deposit listed.

Richard48
Level 2
Comunidad Valenciana, Spain

£100 or 150e min.   if with children 500!

how do you make the deposit different if they have kids? 

I'd like to increase the deposit if they come with pets.

THanks

Anja 
Vergennes VT

Melitta0
Level 1
The Mumbles, United Kingdom

Hi All,

I need to add a security deposit to pre-existing bookings, does anyone know how to do this please?

Thanks

Mel

@Melitta0 Unfortunately you cannot add a Security Deposit retroactively to confirmed reservations.  When you set your Security Deposit it applies to all future reservations.  😞

Hi,

I also have a question regarding security deposit since I am new to airbnb. I forgot to add the security deposit initially and have just added it, in the meantime I have pre-approved a reservation (not yet confirmed from the tenant) - does anybody know if it will apply for this reservation or not?

Thanks for your help,

Danielle

@Danielle55 If you added your Security Deposit before you pre-approved the guest it should apply if and when the guest accepts the pre-approval. 

Hey, there.

How much do you consider a reasonable amount for the security deposit? I noticed that some would increase the deposit if children and pets are in the reservation, but did only see one comment about the amount.

Thanks! 🙂

I CANT TAKE A BOOKING FOR PEAK SEASON UNLESS IVE GOT A 50% DEPOSIT IN MY BANK..PLEASE

@Jean58 If you require a 50% deposit you will need another site to advertise your space since Airbnb doesn't offer this service.  For reservations less than 30 days, guests make payment in full and Airbnb releases the payment to you approximately 24 hours after the stated check in time on your lisiting. 

I know that..and we are on other sites too..i just thought / think it will be good for Airbnb to change their policy too..and to make it easier for us to get in touch with them..

Carol114
Level 1
Morris, CT

Hi Debbie,

I am very unhappy with Airbnb's security deposit policy.  I own a lake front house that I rent out.  It sleeps 8, is newly renovated and fully furnished.  I recently had a rental that was a complete disaster.  They left the place with big dents on a new refridgerator (one month old).   The stove that had been damaged due to hardened sauce that corroded the bottom of the oven, oven cleaner couldn't get it off.  My cleaning required a full steam cleaning of all rugs and furniture including throw pillows (thankfully I own a steam cleaner), and a complete wash of all quilts, curtains and the shower curtain (normally not done with just a weekend rental).  The house also smelled so badly of beer, food, and body odor, that it took hours of boiling a mixture of lemons and vanilla on the stove to remove some of it.  I leave extra pillows, blankets and sheets (as a back up) and all were used.  These renters even used the decorative sofa pillows and other decorative pillows to sleep with.  The pillows were found all over the house in beds and were dirty and smelly, including drool stains.  They reeked!  Some of them had a cover and I was able to launder those, the others I had to clean with upholdstery cleaner, it was a nightmare.  I also found a bag of marijauana and other paraphernia left in the house.  I am not a prude, but my house rules explicity state that there will be no smoking inside the house and there are designated smoking areas (the firepit and beach).  These areas were littered with cigarette boxes and butts despite my leaving a metal bucket with sand for smoking.

When I explained the damages to the tenant who made the reservation, he was annoyed and blamed it on his guests.  A very uncomfortable exchange of texts ensued where I was made to sound like the bad guy.  Ultimately I did get paid for some of the damages, but I called Airbnb to discuss the process. 

Why am I (the property owner) having to negotiate for payment of damages?  This is NOT the case on other rental sites.  In addition, I am now faced with a potentially negative review from the tenant.  I was told I can respond to it, but it will affect my overall rating on Airbnb.  

I like this site and would like to continue using it, but I am very unhappy with the position I am put in as a landlord.  A security deposit is for the protection of a property (owners), to keep people from abusing someone else's property.  Airbnb seems to favor the renter rather than the owner.  Without owners, they would have no site.

I would appreciate any response on this.

Thank you,

Carol

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

The only response @Carol114 is that you are absolutely right. BNB makes much of it's much lauded host guarantee but the reality from what I have seen on this and other forums is that BNB doesn't make it easy for hosts to claim even where there is photographic evidence, reports from third party repairs people etc.

My only advice is that hosts need to do everything they can to check out guests

- don't use instant book - speak to each guest and find out about them and their plans for their stay

- only take guests with fully verified ID

- ideally guests will have previous reviews - the reality is many new guest won't

If you aren't comfortable with a guest don't accept their booking.