Selling Extras to Guests?

Susan144
Level 1
Traverse City, MI

Selling Extras to Guests?

I am a brand new host...Yay!! 

I have a question about offering guests food and beverage packages of local "stuff". I was wonderting if I can put local baskets together and sell them to guests? Any info?

20 Replies 20
David126
Level 10
Como, CO

I can see it would work for some, depends on your customer base.

David
Serafina0
Level 6
Minneapolis, MN

I sell local art items to guests, but I don't use the Airbnb platform to do so. I have used the Resolution Center to bill guests for stocking groceries for them (some guests arriving from overseas appreciate having the house stocked with staples), and that worked easily. With the recent changes, I don't know if it functions the same way, but I would just send them a request for payment, and they'd approve it. Airbnb would eventually send the money to my account.

We leave a basket with local foods/wine/water/breakfast basics as a welcome gift (asking for preferences after people book). We considered charging for it, or for additional baskets, through the Resolution Center, but it is far more valuable as a pleasant extra. It gives us happy guests, good reviews, and as a result more bookings. We figured out the total cost, and cover part of it with our modest cleaning fee, which makes it a little fairer for one-night bookings (onetime expense and onetime charge)—and our guests mostly leave the place very clean.

Actually, it comes out even more affordable than we thought. Not everyone eats everything, and some people even end up giving us a bottle of wine or some other thing themselves. Of course we don't reuse opened or time-sensitive food for other guests, but we ourselves like everything we provide, so we just use it ourselves. It's so much less complicated than charging, and makes everyone happy. Of course it depends on how expensive the food is, and how expensive the place is.

If we invite guests to grill with us, sometimes they contribute some food or drink, sometimes not, depending, but similarly, it ends up working out for everyone. 

Helene-and-Erik0
Level 2
Burlingame, CA

I just started offering items to guests using a Bahabox. Some of these are daily necessities and beauty products but recently also started offering rentals and local products. 

Owen28
Level 2
St. Petersburg, FL

It's definitely possible. I've been thinking of ways to make my airbnb more profitable by up-selling special add ons to guests.

The ideas I came up with were:

1. A Mini Bar

2. Equipment rental (like bikes/kayaks etc)

3. Car Rental (using Turo with Airbnb)

4. A concierge service

5. Selling Artwork

I wrote some more ideas about how to implement these here in case its of interest - http://bit.ly/2PCBJiu. 

I plan on doing the mini bar first, and then move on to selling photographs of local highlights. 

How do you handle the payment?

And how do you handle things if they break the bike they rented from you?

Interesting article, thanks!

Great ideas. Do you have any information about Airbnb policy about this by a chance? Thanks!

Hey @Owen28  I'm actually working on solving this same problem! For example, a host could stock a few items around the airbnb such as local art, wine, local snacks, or even a partially stocked fridge. Then there could be a QR code next to the items and the guest could just scan the QR and buy stuff on their phone, without having to download another app. Would love to chat about it if you have a chance!

Timothy18
Level 2
Honor, MI

Owen - Your link above regarding your ideas is not validd. Can you share a current link?

Remove the dot from the end of the link. The right one is http://bit.ly/2PCBJiu

Monica1297
Level 1
Bedford, MA

Can you sell artwork in your airbnb?

MariaLuiza4
Level 3
Sao Paulo, Brazil

I also have been thinking about how can my rental be more profitable. I started searching for vending machines, for instance, but they are too big, too bright, etc. and renting them isn't worthwhile. I actually found a tutorial online on how to DIY your own vending machine! I am sharing with you over here. I am thinking about taking a weekend or so to focus on making this.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BHQBsswUeT0