Serial cancellations

Aaron124
Level 1
London, United Kingdom

Serial cancellations

Why are hosts who continue to cancel at the last minute continued to be allowed to offer their services?  This person seems to cancel more bookings that they make and it completely screws up the plans of the person who made the booking.  I made a booking 6 months ago to have it cancelled 2 weeks prior to arrival.  

https://www.airbnb.co.uk/users/show/47170911

7 Replies 7
Christian65
Level 10
Copenhagen, Denmark

How rude of them. This looks like a pattern indeed. I'd report him to Airbnb as he seems to do it constantly if they hadn't already suspended the listing.

Air penalizes hosts and can ultimately suspend an account but there are extenuating circumstances but this looks like a bad trend and I think Air has dealt with it.

Having been cancelled on, I get the frustration and Air really tries to avoid them but nothing is a 100 %

Marit-Anne0
Level 10
Bergen, Norway

@Aaron124

Looks like the listing has been suspended already.  Look for Superhosts - one of the criteria for becoming one is no host cancellations.

But a superhost status is by far no guarantee. It can be indicative for the past but there aren't any hundred percents in terms of Airbnb and even superhosts might have to cancel.

@Christian65

There is really never a guarantee when renting from private hosts.  There may be extenuating circumstances leading to cancellations even on the day of arrival.  

Really @Marit-Anne0 ?? Well, now I must lay down because you just shook ma entire world view!

@Aaron124 - Sorry this has happened to you, it is indeed a problem and host's like this give Airbnb a bad name.  With 100,000 reservations a night worldwide, this is most definitely not the norm.  

While this may come too late, here is some advice for the next time - only pick verified hosts with postive reviews.  This host has negative reviews and cancellations going back months.  Understanding that you picked the place - a hotel I might add - more than 6 months ago means that you have to revisit the listing on occassion to 1. make sure they are still in business, 2. haven't had reviews that would make you question your own reservation and pleasure staying there, 3. that details about the listing haven't changed significantly - like the furniture, the address, or the host,  and 4. personally, I would not choose a host to stay with who did not have a profile picture of themselves - to me this is a red flag.  

Hope you were able to book elsewhere and enjoy your holiday to its fullest.  

Thanks for the replies.  For sure I will be more careful in future bookings.  We have found alternate accomodation so it's not a disaster.  Airbnb have replied to me to say the host is under investigation.  It looks like they are a rental agency and there are a few bad stories I've found looking around [Link hidden].  Now I'm just glad that at least I don't have to worry about trying to get a refund.