Service Animals are Not Pets

Deisy17
Level 2
Huntsville, AL

Service Animals are Not Pets

Hello Community,

I have been struggling with the Airbnb Pet Policy for service animals. I believe we are discriminating against the group of guest that seek homes that are truly free of pets before they arrive. I have a no pet policy in place but I cannot decline a service animal or an emotional support animal into my home. How is that fair to the the group of guest seeking homes free of animals due to severe allergies and other health concerns? I believe we are discriminating against that class of guest. I should know as a host that I have a service animal entering my home. I should be able to charge a pet fee. I may be coming across harsh but when I started this journey I was focused on this group of guest. Now, I have to accept a service animal without being told one will be in my home or if the guest does share it with me I am penalized if I decline the reservation. As a host I should be able to decline service animals because I intended never to have animals in my home. I would hope we can have a conversation and hopefully adjust the Airbnb policy to accommodate for the group of individuals that would like to stay at a home that is truly animal free. I have disclosed to my next guest that I had a service animal just in case they suffered from any allergies prior to their arrival. I was also ready to reimburse them fully if they cancelled since my listing specifically states, NO PETS allowed. You can call it a pet or service animal; it is still a dog. Hopefully, I have not offended anyone out there. I know the need for service animals and there are many other Airbnbs that list there homes with “Pets Allowed”.

Deisy
4 Replies 4
Lorna170
Level 10
Swannanoa, NC

@Deisy17   Unfortunately, persons with allergies or who require allergen free accommodations are not a protected class like those with true service animals.  I have no issue with people with service animals, but hope that they search out pet friendly accommodations.  My neighbor, who has a lovely place, cannot accept pets for numerous reasons.  She has been told time and time again that she has to take “Fifi the ESA” and is punished when she declines or cancels.  

I would like Airbnb to honor my neighbor’s right to not host animals and steer guests with animals to properties like mine that will cater to animals.  I would also like Airbnb to allow hosts to charge for ESA’s that get left alone in our properties, cause damage and squat everywhere while their owners ignore them. 

Misty43
Level 4
Burbank, CA

I am so frustrated by this too! As a family with allergy sufferers we try to keep our rental free of any pet hair because so many guests request this. How can I offer a safe space for them if I can't enforce any fees for cleaning? I can not believe that not only are emotional support animals allowed and do not need documentation but the guest doesn't have to disclose it! So now everyone is claiming emotional support animals. I also have a swimming pool and dog hair destroys my filter. The cost for my housekeeper for all the hair and feces clean up along with pool maintenance is outrageous! I'm all for not discriminating against true service animals but why shouldn't they just have to cover the real cost that housekeeping charges? We really need Airbnb to have our backs on this one. I feel so not supported by them and honestly I love hosting but I need to know that they support hosts, come on! At the very least a guest should upload documentation to bypass the pet fee. 

Vangie9
Level 2
Bella Vista, AR

I came on this site searching for help with this.  I manage 10 properties.  Only 2 do not allow pets.  We do NOT make exceptions for 'my Mom's 4 pound dog that she just cannot travel without' because we are trying to maintain a healthy environment for those who specifically search for 'no pets' and have severe allergies.  I had a guest pressing me to accept his booking with a service animal.  I politely asked him to choose a different property so we could maintain a healthy environment for those with allergies.  I even offered him the same date, comparable size house NEXT DOOR for a discount.  While they are very different homes, the one I offered is completely remodeled and more updated than the one he was asking about.  They are 20 feet apart and both lakefront.  They sleep the same number, they are the same price before the discount I offered.  He was undeterred.  I believe he just 'instant booked' the house anyway.  Now what choice do I have?  Airbnb policy says I can't charge him an extra fee.  Should I sacrifice all profit on this booking to pay for a deep clean $500 and prepare it for my next guest?  Risk canceling his reservation and having a complaint?  Turn away allergy sufferers?  This is frustrating and disrespectful. I  made an accommodation.  Guest is rejecting it.

Deisy17
Level 2
Huntsville, AL

I’m sadden by your frustration along with my own. Airbnb needs to do more about this issue. You have been more than generous but people will refuse a great alternative. Obviously they don’t respect your wishes and your No Pet policy. I wish we could find a solution for those that are not a protective class suffering from allergies. There are hotel rooms allergen free. Maybe Airbnb can adopt homes called Allergen Free Airbnb’s. That way our guest will know there were No Pets in that home. Trust me there are plenty of homes that welcome animals. 

Deisy