Service animal

Sylvia552
Level 1
San Antonio, TX

Service animal

A guest checked in with a service animal, however that animal was a cat.  They were aware i was under the impression that it was a dog. I have a feeling this is a guest i have had issues with but they keep signing up under different names. Can i charge for the cat? 

4 Replies 4
Linda108
Level 10
La Quinta, CA

Good question, @Sylvia552 .  There is an article in the Help Center that addresses your question.  Here is a link.

https://www.airbnb.com/help/article/1869/what-is-an-assistance-animal

You cannot charge a fee for an assistant animal.  However, the guest cannot leave the animal unattended either.

@Sylvia552  I'd be very fascinated to learn what tasks this "service cat" was trained to perform. 

Of course it's not a genuine "assistance animal," but you can't really introduce a previously undisclosed fee after stay has begun. It sounds more worrying that you don't know who this person is or whether they're a previous guest of yours. Does the profile have Verified ID?

Larissa86
Level 2
Seattle, WA

I am a host and have some experience in that area after several guest showed up with dogs.

You can send feedback to AirBNB. This is what I send them:

1. Please remove emotional support animal from your pet policy.  I am sure you already have numerous complaints. I don’t have a problem with trained service animal. The real issue that Airbnb equating service animals with unregulated and untrained emotional support animals.
  2. Please add another button during reservation for number of guests to include check mark for service animal in their reservation.

The second suggestion is very important and it will set very clear expectations for both guest and host.

Speaking from my host experience I don't like to be surprise when guest show up with animal. I want to know in advance.  I own a dog as well and I understand what it takes to keep the place clean for the next guest. If people bring dog for me it is another GUEST.  I will need to make some adjustments like provide extra towel, bowl, remove some objects or include furniture covering...

When expectations are clear between guest and host you will have less calls.

Jen29
Level 2
Southampton, NY

@Larissa86 where can I submit similar Airbnb feedback?