Service fee coupon for your next trip.

Harold127
Level 1
Texas, United States

Service fee coupon for your next trip.

Airbnb is currently offering "Due to concerns about the coronavirus, we’ll give back the $xx.xx service fee as a coupon for your next trip."  Does anyone know how long this will be offered?  My traveling companion is wanting to hold on to the last day in hopes of us being allowed into the EU, but she doesn't want to lose the service fee coupon offer by waiting.

Thank you for any information.

1 Reply 1
Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Harold127  No, no one is privy to information about how long any Airbnb policy will remain in place-they change things all the time.

One thing I want to point out to you- while I can understand a traveller wanting to be able to take the trip they planned and wanting to wait to see if travel restrictions are eased, what you need to understand is that Airbnbs aren't hotels. If you cancel a hotel reservation at the last minute, another person is quite likely to walk into the hotel looking for a room and take that room you cancelled.

When you book an Airbnb, you block the host's calendar with your reservation. The longer you wait to cancel, the less chance the host has of rebooking that space. Waiting until the 11th hour to cancel is really unfair to the host, who might have been able to get another booking for those dates from someone who wasn't subject to the travel restrictions. So you could be costing that host a lot of money, even if though you haven't stayed in the listing. 

Hopefully you are at least in communication with the host, and he is aware that you might not be able to make the trip. But please don't leave his calendar blocked until the last minute just so you can get a service fee voucher.