Service fee too high

Mickie0
Level 4
Tel Aviv, Tel Aviv District, Israel

Service fee too high

The help center says Service fees for guests typically range between 6-12% but can be higher or lower depending on the specifics of the reservation.

Why is airbnb charging my guest 20% on top of my special offer? Can this be ameneded?

167 Replies 167
Sandy17
Level 3
Gibsonville, NC

I have found that Airbnb is adding a hundred dollars to my fee for one week. thought they already have their "service fee" on what I see. How do we get someone at Airbnb to do something?

@Sandy17@Mickie0, try these.

https://community.airbnb.com/t5/Tips-Tricks/Contact-Airbnb-A-Community-Help-Guide/m-p/16165

You can reach them as well via the Help link at bottom top of this page. A lot of excellent information there.

Also, on any guest reservation itinerary is an AirBnB phone number.

More essential reading for hosts.

https://community.airbnb.com/t5/General-Hosting/Community-Help-Guides/m-p/23100#U23100

I agree fees are too high.

I think fees are affecting business.

it definitely is affecting business....everyone I know stopped using them (and all other sites like them) due to the redicuous fees. Cheaper to stay in a hotel these days....so the trend is reversing itself LOL

I agree completely.  The fees almost double the price

Ditto!  Not only is it affecting business, it's also affecting our reviews. We used to always  get 5 stars for Value, but recently got a few 4 stars and our first and only 3 star (luckily it was for just for Value and the guest gave us a 5 star for Overall). We haven't changed our pricing and still offer a great value for a whole house rental with three bedrooms. It appears to be a factor of the guests being charged a higher service fee, while at the same time Airbnb continually pressuress us into lowering our price!   Also, it used to be easy to find out how much the guest was charged for the service fee, but that information is no longer as available.

Let's do sth. about this - it's definitely not fine that they abuse their monopoly power.

Aoi0
Level 6
Tokyo, Japan

I think expensive handling fee really stopped some business.

Airbnb needs to improve it.

Even we set up really cheap price, after adding the handling fee, 

the guests would prefer to choose hotels.

Besides, the customer support in japan is really terrible.

They usually have really late response or did nothing helpful.

Jonty2
Level 3
York, United Kingdom

Totally agree! My partner and I found a nice place for 6 nights in Amsterdam (with shared bathroom), only to find out further down the line that there was an additional (previously hidden) 'Service Fee' of £90.00. WTF! This together with the tax brings the total to higher than that of a nice hotel, more centrally located AND with a private bathroom.

I think Airbnb have lost the plot.

I 200% agree.. I just finsihed a 3 weeks trip to USA  and Canada, used only AirBnB. Couple of occasions , I found out that nearby Hotels are cheaper than AirBnB homes...

Raluca18
Level 2
Willebroek, Belgium

indeed. i just looked over long term hollidays rent ( 2weeks) and i preffer to rent via booking.com as the service fee alone is more than 500 euros.

Wanchen0
Level 3
San Francisco, CA

I agree! Airbnb should only charge plat fee or just the 3% credit card fee. Or they should include the fee in the listed price. I had my first Airbnb experience, and all the fees together was 30% more than the listed price - not a good customer experience. 

Maddalena9
Level 3
Milan, Italy

I totally agree, service fee is way too high. Guests do complain, because people are now used to online services that only charge minimum or no fee for simply using the booking service. I understand that running expenses for Airb&b may be higher than, say, Craigslist, but that doesn't justify how high service fees are on most bookings. Most puzzling, the longer you stay, the more you pay in service fees, which to me doesn't make sense because running costs for the website should be identical, no matter how many days you book.

I for one, if the final price turns out to be similar, would rather give my "service" money to an hotel, at least they are offering employment to more people.