Service fees and our extenuating circumstances policy

Airbnb
Official Account

Service fees and our extenuating circumstances policy

We understand there may be some confusion on what happens to service fees for bookings that are cancelled under our extenuating circumstances policy. We want to clarify that Airbnb is refunding all service fees to hosts and guests original payment method for these cancellations.

Airbnb won’t benefit from any reservations canceled under this policy. We're truly in this together.

It’s a difficult time right now - and during times of uncertainty, it is important that we find ways to connect and support each other. Sometimes the little things can go a long way, so please share any tips and supportive words you have for one another.

In the meantime, please refer to our Resource Center and our Help Center to find the latest information on our COVID-19 response, from policy updates to resources for hosts and guests.

Updated March 17th

146 Replies 146
Katie157
Level 7
Lincoln, NE

“In this together”? Are you in complete denial of what this is doing to hosts? I refuse to believe that Airbnb doesn’t know how basic business principles work. Shame on you AIRBNB for doing what you’re doing to hosts right now. I e already lost $7k in the past day due to your new bs policy that helps no one but guests and Airbnb come out on top. Shows you’re actually “in this together” and pay guests back for enacting a policy that is causing mass cancellations where only guests benefit. We are all livid and looking at how we can exit your platform to other ones that actually value us aka your inventory! 
this is going to take monetary sacrifice from Airbnb toward hosts to make this right or we’re all going to leave.

I second that!

We've been thrown under the bus. I lost $1400.00 today. Airbnb is my only source of income. With $100.00 in the bank, where am I going?Complete lack of concern for hosts. This is unacceptable. Community? What a joke. I'm in serious trouble now. We demand help and respect. If Airbnb thinks this is a good PR move for their already tarnished reputation well they've just added more fuel to the fire unless we're compensated. Did a 50% refund for guests and a 50% payout for hosts not cross they're minds. That's fair. Clearly fairness is not on Airbnbs mind. Disgrace.

Well put. All the time we put into all of this and the guest has the opportunity to cancel but waits until the day before check in to rob us of any potential to re book our home. That is unprofessional and sinful

SO thrown under the bus!!!

Airbnb es mi única fuente de ingresos y ahora por estas medidas que tomaron sin pensar ni un momento en los hosts, he perdido en 5 dias más de 20.000€ 

No entiendo en que parte de "in this together" estamos nosotros. Increíble la poca comunicación, poca seriedad y poca visión a largo plazo con la que se toman las decisiones en situaciones así. ¿Cómo esperan que se mantengan los alojamientos después de esto si nos envían a la quiebra con estás políticas? 

i love how they’re being generous by “Refunding all service fees”. What would have been the alternative??? Cancel all our guests reservations, give back 100%, absolutely nothing to the host, AND charge us a service fee?! Where do I send my “thank you” letter? Do you not realize we have mortgage payments (and utilities, and property taxes) AirBNB? Our “strict” policy WAS our safety net. It’s the way we try to make sure we at least make something to cover expenses. Something is better than nothing. This takes away our safety net and that why you’ve lost our trust. 

Same here 

we’re going to have to go into debt and  sell the house if this carries on !

i have a disabled daughter who has private medication that needs paying for and two other kids to support and this will end  us !

air bnb have completely taken our livelihood away 

I can understand the very last min cancellations within this week being cancelled and refunded despite that affecting us badly but to leave this policy open so that we cannot state that say after this week if you havent cancelled then our normal policy will apply ! 
This would have given everyone time to make their decisions and leave us to be able to feed our families .

The  mortgage holiday rule doesn’t actually apply to all of us as my tax adviser told me yesterday .

i hope to find another platform soon to join who will protect us 

so if we cancel all our bookings on here when we join them do we get away with no fines / charges ?? 

Mike2059
Level 2
California, United States

I’m sorry to hear about your daughter, it must be hard for you. If there’s anything we can do, please let us know!

I'm so sorry for you and your family.. It's simply not right what Airbnb is doing with us.

We all are losing money and are not getting any support. They are so greedy.

@Rachel1550  Please let me know when you find another platform. I’m on my way out, too. 

I've just joined and new to this, does anyone know how long after someone books and checks out does it take to receive payment.  I had a week booking and they checked out last week Thursday and I still haven't seen any payments from Airbnb.  I have reached out to them a few times and they keep telling me my account is pending.  It's been pending since last week.

@Marie6483  Normally it can take up to 30 days for a new host to receive payment for their first booking. However, nothing is normal right now, so I'd wait the 30 days and if you still don't see a payment, or if you don't receive payment for subsequent bookings, then try to get in touch with Airbnb.

The normal time hosts get paid if everything is working as it should is 24 hours after check-in.

wow 30 days... that's crazy..

if a guest requests a longer stay but wants to do it private would you recommend it or would you ask them to book with airbnb instead of private?