Service fees and our extenuating circumstances policy

Airbnb
Official Account

Service fees and our extenuating circumstances policy

We understand there may be some confusion on what happens to service fees for bookings that are cancelled under our extenuating circumstances policy. We want to clarify that Airbnb is refunding all service fees to hosts and guests original payment method for these cancellations.

Airbnb won’t benefit from any reservations canceled under this policy. We're truly in this together.

It’s a difficult time right now - and during times of uncertainty, it is important that we find ways to connect and support each other. Sometimes the little things can go a long way, so please share any tips and supportive words you have for one another.

In the meantime, please refer to our Resource Center and our Help Center to find the latest information on our COVID-19 response, from policy updates to resources for hosts and guests.

Updated March 17th

146 Replies 146

A possible solution is to change the current full refund policy to a half refund, while making the other half as a voucher so when the guest books with the same host next time, they can use it as credit. If Airbnb is willing to step forward one more step, the booking does not need to be with the same host. I understand this can be difficult to manage but definitely doable. As we all know in this situation most of the guests are not in immediate need of the money since it's some money they ALREADY PAID OUT long time before. However to some hosts the money is LIFE-SAVING as they need the money to pay mortgage, utilities and maintenance. By utilizing the above policy the guest will not lose anything given that they travel again in the future, and it helps those host to go through this difficult time.

I agree!  The airlines are not refunding my money for the flights they cancelled, they are just giving me a credit for future flights with them.  Airbnb could do the same!

Duke7
Level 2
Meridian, ID

I am taking a trip, or am supposed to be taking a trip with all of my children to Mexico.  There is no traveling 'wild' card for me.  I am out the resort fees and all inclusive fees regardless of this non sense.  Plus all of the income from the three houses that I host for airbnb.  I now have people cancelling well beyond April 15 and still at my own expense.   Zero thought given to hosts (applause Airbnb).  No hosts equal no guests....a terrible decision on your part AIRbnb.  I will be rethinking my strategy and options in the future after seeing how inequitable your decision was with no resolve in sight.  

Judy701
Level 2
Lebanon, OR

This info is incorrect.  I have not received a refund on the fees just a refund from the host.  And Airbnb wont respond to me...keeps calling my case closed.

Judy701
Level 2
Lebanon, OR

Airbnb DID NOT REFUND my service fees.  The host was great and didn't hesitate to refund.  He did state Airbnb might charge me.  I'm 68, retired, would have to fly across the country but Airbnb kept nearly $300.  

Sierra53
Level 2
Oakland, CA

Does anyone know if I can delete my account under the extenuating circumstances policy right now while I still have many reservations (I have reservations through sept.)? First I need to rent the apartment out because all of my guests are canceling (most last minute). And second I don't feel comfortable having guests coming and going from our property. AirBnB will not answer my questions 

Sandra216
Level 2
Panama, Panama

I am also receiving messages from renters that cancelled their reservations, I reimbursed 100%  but Airbnb is not returning their service fees.  I manually refunded for the guests that didn't go through the "extenuating circumstances"  and did my part and I feel Airbnb and should do their part by not only reimbursing the service fees, but helping  share the burden of loss that the hosts are suffering.  When tourism starts up again, they may find they are without hosts....

Wendy187
Level 4
Taos, NM

Airbnb is not protecting their super-hosts during covid19, and leaving them high and dry. Your lack of protection to superhosts during this pandemic is not acceptable.
You are only protecting your guests under the extenuating circumstances but it should include your super-hosts as well! Superhosts are your crucial essential building blocks to your company!  Any reservation cancelled due to covid19 should be reimbursed to superhosts, period. 
Mario1986
Level 2
Chula Vista, CA

We lost $500 in service fees as Airbnb would only consider issuing a credit if you cancelled after they changed their Covid-19 policy. (We apparently cancelled a week too early to qualify) Hawaiian Airlines & Alaska Airlines both issued travel credits good for one year. Let's hear from all of you!

Anne-Marie280
Level 2
England, GB

My husband booked accommodation for us in Cheltenham and had to cancel our booking because of the Covid 19 We paid £38.52 We were refunded £2.50 This was our first time using Airbnb We went to the resolution centre who informed us that we had used a voucher worth £25 but the original cost to hire was £63.50 total cost but they are robbing us by deducting the full voucher cost plus admin fee off of our balance Disgusting making money our of the Coronavirus pandemic,  

Anne-Marie280

That's really bad, I am really having second thoughts as a host with Air Bnb.

Guy709
Level 1
Valparaiso, IN

i am having an issue with a host that will not refund the full amount due to cancellation. i am a high risk senior with our state on lock down. i live in Indiana. our closest airport is in Chicago. cars with out of state plates are being pulled over. we are in lock down and haven’t left our house for three weeks. our business is dead. we have no income. yet the host will not issue a refund. please help. it this does not get resolved  i will be compelled to write a review stating that this is the type of host that runs this property. we cancelled two other ARBNB reservations for our trip with no problem. 

Sue784
Level 2
Bazouges-la-Pérouse, France

When guests make reservations they should prove  to Airbnb that they have travel insurance.......then hosts should recive a full refund for any canceled bookings its not rocket science why doesn't Airbnb think out its booking procedures befor letting hosts down.

I have a reservation and unless I can swim, there is no way to get too Kauai. Since the Trip was booked on the 15th of March, it appears only a 50% refund. Tried contacting host, no responce. Sugestions?

Thanks,

Aaron

Hi Sue784@Airbnb

The travel insurance is a good  idea except in a Pandemic situation, then it isn't covered- please correct me if I'm wrong>