Service fees and our extenuating circumstances policy

Airbnb
Official Account

Service fees and our extenuating circumstances policy

We understand there may be some confusion on what happens to service fees for bookings that are cancelled under our extenuating circumstances policy. We want to clarify that Airbnb is refunding all service fees to hosts and guests original payment method for these cancellations.

Airbnb won’t benefit from any reservations canceled under this policy. We're truly in this together.

It’s a difficult time right now - and during times of uncertainty, it is important that we find ways to connect and support each other. Sometimes the little things can go a long way, so please share any tips and supportive words you have for one another.

In the meantime, please refer to our Resource Center and our Help Center to find the latest information on our COVID-19 response, from policy updates to resources for hosts and guests.

Updated March 17th

146 Replies 146

I’m having the same problem. Surprisingly, there is no phone number or email to get in touch with someone that will help or tell you when you will get your money

https://community.withairbnb.com/t5/Help/Contact-Airbnb-A-Community-Help-Guide-UPDATED/td-p/413245

This is a large pinned post on the first page of the Help forum you just posted on.

@Holly474

Cindee1
Level 2
Arkansas, United States

Your payout depends on the choice you made for receiving payment.  

If you are using their credit card or a gift card payout you get the money sooner than If you have direct deposit to your bank.  Usually takes 3 days. 

The direct deposit takes 4-5 days after they send the payment to receive deposit. 

Airbnb pays everyone the day after your guest arrives regardless of the length of stay.  

You will get an email with the payout information a day before it hits your bank or your card. 

we get an email the afternoon after c/i confirming payment was sent to our bank, and payments usually show up available in our acct within 24-48hrs. 

Yes soon we won’t have home to list on air bnb. Vrbo is not requiring us to aloof people to violate our strict policy

My host was a jewel and kindly refuned my deposit after I explained my situation.   Airbnb DID NOT refund my fees.  I'm retired and saved and saved to take my trip from Oregon to SC. So sad that Airbnb is dumping the problem on the host and not refunding their service fee.

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Judy701  If the dates of your trip qualify for the extenuating circumstances policy, contact Airbnb and DEMAND your fees.

If they don't, please let us know!

I was talking with other hosts that are complaining that their guests are not receiving the service fees back from Airbnb as well.  So, we need to comply 100% and Airbnb isn't reimbursing their part?  

I have continued to contact them daily and no response.   Just their "canned" answers.  Believe me this is not the end of it.  The media needs to know individual hosts are responding in a positive way and losing income and maybe their homes and Airbnb a large corporation profits.  Shameful 

I have a guest that tries to cancel her booking that falls under date range requirements of  AirBnB's "Extenuating circumstances policy and the coronavirus (COVID-19)".  AirBnB asked her (the quest) to submit "supporting documentation", without clearly specifying the acceptable documentation . 

To put things in context, this is April 2, 2020, 89.7% of US population are under shelter-in-place orders.

AirBnB says "We're truly in this together."  AirBnB's action clearly contradict AirBnB's words.  

Kevin1803
Level 1
County Roscommon, Ireland

Im the same Judy, my host was brillant but Air BnB retained €188 for their fees. Not acceptable and not in line with their policy.

I am so sick of their Bull**bleep**! One person tells you one thing and you get a different answer from someone else when you call back. Arbnb lies, cheats and only has concern for their guests. I've had multiple incidents where the guests destroyed my place. Three different guests in a row. I was out of my mind. I asked them how are you protecting the Hosts? He didn't have an answer other then my Manager will call you back within the hour. THEY NEVER CALL BACK. I asked aren't you going to call the Police, he said that his Manager would call within the hour. ARE THEY SERIOUS! I told him this company is useless. They cancelled all my reservations when I started in June and gave everyone back their money AFTER their stay. LOL You can't make it up. I also had a long term guest, my first guest. they called him and told him his reservation was cancelled and put him somewhere else. When I got the Apartment with the desk I bought the guest, he was packed up and gone. They froze my account 6 weeks until they could find an answer to what happened. 6 weeks, are you mad! I called three times a day. I finally got an answer. It was a system glitch. LOL LOL I am still trying to recover lost money from June. They suspended my account again a few weeks later without an answer.  4 weeks my listing was down. their answer, someone hit the wrong button. I had a $10,000 approval pending. I lost all of them. For a large company, this place is a disgrace. If anyone knows of another site, please forward it to me. I can not do this anymore. This is my livelihood, they could care less.

Evolve

WHAT A JOKE ! SHAME ON AIRBNB!!

At the cost of the hosts!! We rely on this income as our main source of income!! We too have bills to pay. I had three bookings and one at the end of the month to cover my rent. Airbnd don't care about their hosts. I have guest that are using this as an excuse to not stay and cancelled demanding a refund.  I have been getting threatening emails from guest demanding their refunds or they are going to sue!  I have one that checked in and stayed one day, she then decided to use the CoronaVirus as and excuse to cut her vacay short. She doesn't remember her message to me the day before  " looking forward to the vacation despite the coronavirus" and then she leaves and now sending me threatening messages .

We as host sacrifice our homes to hosts and this is some of our only jobs. 

I am so disappointed with them.. They should pay our of their insurance and not at the expense of the hosts. Very angry and upset Host. 

Yes I'm having a real nightmare.

I'm so livid!!

Airbnb issued a full refund for 2 weeks stay, after the guest checked in, slept here 2 nights and then decided that his money would just go further given the climate

They booked non refundable end of Feb, entered my flat on the 14th march, cancelled on the 16th and filed a claim for extenuating circumstances, when instead they just thought the room was small for them. I even offered the full use of the living room and kitchen!!

Airbnb first called me to assure me that I was ok and I would have needed to refund anything because indeed the real reason was not covid

They then proceeded to message me 48hrs later to advise me that the full refund was issued and that now I owe airbnb 1200£ !! So not only they put me in debt, they also let the guests sleep here for free

Unbelievable!

I had other guests calling me and asking to cancel due to covid and I absolutely understand that. With other reservations I did offer free cancellation.

But with this one no. The guest simply changed his mind! Also in the covid airbnb policy it clearly states that the extenuating circumstances are not applicable for reservations that already started...and the case manager completley ignored this bit.

I'm deeply disappointed and frustrated with airbnb protecting well more guests than hosts.

Shame on Airbnb, with no hosts there are no guests