Service fees and our extenuating circumstances policy

Airbnb
Official Account

Service fees and our extenuating circumstances policy

We understand there may be some confusion on what happens to service fees for bookings that are cancelled under our extenuating circumstances policy. We want to clarify that Airbnb is refunding all service fees to hosts and guests original payment method for these cancellations.

Airbnb won’t benefit from any reservations canceled under this policy. We're truly in this together.

It’s a difficult time right now - and during times of uncertainty, it is important that we find ways to connect and support each other. Sometimes the little things can go a long way, so please share any tips and supportive words you have for one another.

In the meantime, please refer to our Resource Center and our Help Center to find the latest information on our COVID-19 response, from policy updates to resources for hosts and guests.

Updated March 17th

146 Replies 146

Chiara572

I am happy to refund people that cancelled in advance or a few hours after the reservation, but when the guest stay in the apartment this is a direct cost for us.

I had a similar situation with one of my returning guest who slept one night at my apartment, she replied the next morning that everything was going great during the stay....but 6 days later  (2 days before her original check out, it was a 8 nights booking) she wrote me telling me that she didn't sleep in the apartment, ?? (weird, because she replied the next day saying that everything was great...!! ) and because her work was cancelled so she needed a full refund... Airbnb asked me to refund her and I declined because of the late notice. They respected my decision at the beginning,  but a few days after I received a second message informing that they refunded her fully the stay, making me responsible for the costs of cleaning and the empty nights.

Especially these days it was very frustrating and I complained twice about this. They rejected my complaints, but after more than 7 messages of dealing with customer service, they accepted to refund me first the cleaning and finally until the 6th day, as she didn't give me an opportunity to offer the place to other guests, letting me know so late about her cancellation....

It's hard and extremely unfair, but I would like to recommend you to continue reclaiming this, at least to cover the expenses that you had from this booking. As is just illogical to make you fully responsible for this, it must have a balance.

All the best 

Beatrix

@Beatrix26 

Wow! Well done! You are a battler and you should be proud of yourself.

It's strange to me how Airbnb coddles the guests even when they are behaving inconsistently.

@Chiara572 

I'm really surprised at this poor treatment from Air BnB. I would look into other options as they are definitely not looking after you.

Mike2059
Level 2
California, United States

You said it all to be honest, I totally agree! 

Paul1255
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Airbnb 

There must be some reason for the confusion, possibly because at some point service fees weren’t being refunded in a transparent and honest way.

https://community.withairbnb.com/t5/Hosting/Airbnb-gives-back-the-Service-fee-as-a-coupon-for-the-ne...

@Airbnb @Paul1255 

Ummmm... perhaps the reason there's "some confusion", is because Airbnb clearly stated in your own "More Flexible Reservations" press release, of just last Tuesday.. 

3. 100% Airbnb Guest Service Fee Refund
We will also do our part to provide guests more peace of mind. For bookings made now through June 1, 2020, if guests need to cancel and are not due a refund of the Airbnb guest service fee, we will refund that fee as a travel coupon which can be used on a future trip

https://news.airbnb.com/more-flexible-reservations-in-times-of-uncertainty/

That's the problem with liars - they tell so many d*mn lies, that they forget what the last thing they said was. Stop treating us all like complete morons, @Airbnb - or it will be the rock that you perish on. 

Paul1255
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Susan17 

Thanks for shining a light there.

Another Airbnb masterclass in avoidable host backlash by not being honest.

Airbnb DID NOT refund my service fee.  The host was great but Airbnb kept my nearly $300.  I'm getting no response from Airbnb.

Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Hello @Judy701,

Great to meet you. Can I check when you were due to check-in for your reservation please? 

I can't see any of your details, but I will try and help. 

Thanks,

Lizzie

--------------------

Thank you for the last 7 years, find out more in my Personal Update.

Looking to contact our Support Team, for details...take a look at the Community Help Guides.

Hour check in date was April 21st. The community we live in had 11 confirmed cases of the virus.  Our population is only 17000.  We both are 68.  We would have to fly from Oregon to SC.  My travel companion has a husband with dementia and other underlying health issues.  We were concerned that we would have a high risk of coming in contact wth COVID-19 in our small town.  We were concerned for our health as well as others.  Our host understands and refuned.  We canceled early giving him time to rebook maybe to someone that didn't need to fly.

Oops  our check in date was the 23rd. 

Hi @Lizzie

I am trying to cancel my booking for July 26-29 as my graduation has been cancelled by COVID-19. My host has agreed to a full refund in light of the circumstances but insists it must be processed by Air bnb. I have tried to contact support on multiple platforms to no avail.

Can you help??

Hi Judy, I’m just curious, did you call or file a complaint with the better business bureau?

Yvonne394
Level 2
Dagenham, GB

I also have lost,  late cancellations shouldn't be refunded 

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Airbnb  You don't need to refund guests 100%- that's not "we're all in this together". You could have made a decision to allow hosts to retain 20-25% of the reservation cost, so this burden, which neither guests nor hosts have any responsibility for, wouldn't be 100% guest-centric, while abandoning the hosts who are the backbone of your platform.

Your CEOs aren't going to lose their homes because they can't make the mortgage payment due to Airbnb not collecting service fees.