Service fees and our extenuating circumstances policy

Airbnb
Official Account

Service fees and our extenuating circumstances policy

We understand there may be some confusion on what happens to service fees for bookings that are cancelled under our extenuating circumstances policy. We want to clarify that Airbnb is refunding all service fees to hosts and guests original payment method for these cancellations.

Airbnb won’t benefit from any reservations canceled under this policy. We're truly in this together.

It’s a difficult time right now - and during times of uncertainty, it is important that we find ways to connect and support each other. Sometimes the little things can go a long way, so please share any tips and supportive words you have for one another.

In the meantime, please refer to our Resource Center and our Help Center to find the latest information on our COVID-19 response, from policy updates to resources for hosts and guests.

Updated March 17th

146 Replies 146

@Sue784 wrote:

When guests make reservations they should prove  to Airbnb that they have travel insurance.......then hosts should recive a full refund for any canceled bookings its not rocket science why doesn't Airbnb printereasy routermanuals techtipseasy think out its booking procedures befor letting hosts down.

I absolutely agree with you. They must prove that they have travel insurance.

Best regards.

Jo56
Level 10
Darlinghurst, Australia

@Airbnb This statement is completely false. Despite trumpeting Airbnb as the 'good Samaritan' company who are refunding 100% of all guest payments for trips cancelled due to COVID-19, as a company you have now made the decision to try every deflection trick imaginable (including the good old one of writing an option in tiny type at the bottom of the page for those guests really, truly, do actually want their cash back). Guests ARE NOT being refunded 100% in cash. They are being refunded in travel credit vouchers, and being told that if they want cash they can only have a 50% refund "due to the hosts' cancellation policy. Airbnb is NOT making the cancellation and refund process clear or easy for guests, and they are being shunted into accepting travel credit. If you manage to even reach someone on the phone (phone lines now have recorded messages with options that just circle and ask you to complete details on a texted online form, but then hang up on you) Airbnb CX reps are now bluntly rude and dismissive, and do not even know the policy which is written on their own website. Resorting to the old "make things so hard they give up" trick is an abominable way to run a business.

As a host we have been used in whatever manner Airbnb sees fit to maintain their image and cash reserves. Guests are now being tricked into giving up cash Airbnb has said is rightfully theirs, and Airbnb is leaving guests with the impression that hosts are taking the rest when hosts are getting NOTHING. A disgusting way to try to claw back cash for the company after grandstanding about doing the right thing by the guests. 

Hi Jo56@AirBnb

Wow!   I read that Airbnb staff were donating money for refunds-I frankly do not know if this is true.

Myself, I just realised after trying for two weeks to get an interpretation on a customer's cancellation on Feb 21 for a stay on March 26-30 and trying to find out if I am getting a 25% refund and not getting anywhere, that the policies for the COVID-19 keep changing. I printed a Policy up from April 9 and wrote to Customer Support, they then answered back with a pasted copy of a new  Policy with new wording.  Then a Bot appeared that said the thread is now closed- So far no resolution.  I think the problem with Airbnb is that they don't have staff- just giggers, they try hard enough but sometimes are lacking in finding the right resolution. I am concerned about the future of Air BnB as I deal with them exclusively and although not perfect they were easy to work with.  Don"t give up! Carry on-drink copious amounts of tea!! 🙂

I appreciate what you have said here. 

Not all guests are cancelling last minute.  We plan well in advance and made reservations in January (well before COVID19 issues) to stay in California in June.  We can't get a full refund?  I understand hosts need to make a living and I would be willing to donate a portion of my refund to the host fund-voluntarily and still be happy to rebook on Air bnb for future trips.  This seems like a win-win to me.  How about if Air bnb extends the refund policy to people that made reservations well in advance of COVID and then offers guests the opportunity to donate a portion of their full refund to the host fund?  Smart business idea if you ask me.  Thank you for reading this.

@Stanley-N0 Thank you for being a guest who is understanding of hosts. However, if you were to donate to a host refund fund, the problem is that Airbnb is in charge of those funds and is doling them out in a seemingly chaotic and untransparent way. If would be far better, if you really want to help your host out a bit in light of having to cancel, if you offered to the host to retain whatever percentage of the booking you think is fair should you be given 100% refund by Airbnb. In other words, send it directly to the host, rather than Airbnb, because if you put it into a fund, it's more than likely your host will never see a penny of that.

Aaron478
Level 2
Dublin, Ireland

Hello,

I  got the message from property management company. Due to COVID-19, they asksked property owners to stop short-term renting until the end of June. Avoid lots of people in and out of apartments during COVID-19 pandemic period.

I am host. Have to cancel some reservation for June. But Airbnb needs to charge me 50 euro for each cancellation. What can I do to avoid cancellation penalty? 

Judy200
Level 2
Sea Ranch, CA

Yesterday we were charged for each cancellation we were forced to make. 

Not all guests are cancelling last minute.  We plan well in advance and made reservations in January (well before COVID19 issues) to stay in California in June.  We can't get a full refund?  I understand hosts need to make a living and I would be willing to donate a portion of my refund to the host fund-voluntarily and still be happy to rebook on Air bnb for future trips.  This seems like a win-win to me.  How about if Air bnb extends the refund policy to people that made reservations well in advance of COVID and then offers guests the opportunity to donate a portion of their full refund to the host fund?  Smart business idea if you ask me.  Thank you for reading this.

Darko56
Level 2
Trogir, Croatia

Good day
I just can't believe how bad you are taking care of your superhosts: you have extended your Covid 19 full refund to guests untill 30 JUNE! THAT'S INSANE!!!! For example Croatia, where my listings are, has opened the borders to tourists and all other countries in Europe will be from 3rd JUNE. After this positive news what does Airbnb do; it extends the full refund policy until 30 June?!?!? What are you doing?!?!? Do you care at all if we will have income to put food on our table????
Its a disaster how BAD you are treating your hosts.

Denice0
Level 10
Placitas, NM

My guest is going to cancel their June 8 booking. What is the best way to get them a full refund (or the most $ back) on a strict cancellation policy?  They don't have the "documents" for the "new extenuating circumstance" policy, so Airbnb will not give them the 15% booking fee back. Should I try going through Air to refund my 50%, or send them a check once I am paid?  

1. Hola 

Zgola agradezco si me pueden decir a quien puedo contactar porque tuve que cancelar una reserva y no me devolvieron todo el dinero, parece que me cobraron por cancelR y no es justo.

Agradezco la informacion

Paige172
Level 2
Daytona Beach, FL

I have a long term stay booked for August 8-November 30. Unfortunately, my mother (who I live with at the moment), has tested positive for COVID-19 and I also live in a hot-spot in Florida, so I need to cancel. I have been trying to get a hold of Airbnb customer service for the last couple of days to no avail. I am prepared to give them my mother’s positive test results as documentation so I receive a full refund. Is there any way for me to contact Airbnb in a more direct and timely manner? I feel bad that my host can’t find another guest to stay at her property until I cancel my reservation. Thanks in advance!

@Paige172  How have you tried to reach customer service?  If by phone, wait times are ridiculous now. Try them through their Twitter account. 

In the meantime, have you let your host know you need to cancel? If not, that would be a polite thing to do- let them know the circumstances and that you have been trying to reach Airbnb so you can submit the required documentation for a COVID cancellation.  

@Sarah977 I have contacted them through their twitter account and they responded and said

“Thank you for reaching out, Paige. We've located your account, and have forwarded the matter to a specialized team. They will be following up as soon as possible to assist with this. Please be on the lookout for their correspondence.” 

They sent that yesterday and I still have not been contacted. I finally got to speak to a real person on the phone today and they told me they were transferring me to a different team, that was 2 hours and 45 minutes ago and I’m still on hold. I have told my host and they tried to cancel it themselves so I could get my refund but they realized their superhost status could be penalized from cancelling my reservation.