Service fees and our extenuating circumstances policy

Airbnb
Official Account

Service fees and our extenuating circumstances policy

We understand there may be some confusion on what happens to service fees for bookings that are cancelled under our extenuating circumstances policy. We want to clarify that Airbnb is refunding all service fees to hosts and guests original payment method for these cancellations.

Airbnb won’t benefit from any reservations canceled under this policy. We're truly in this together.

It’s a difficult time right now - and during times of uncertainty, it is important that we find ways to connect and support each other. Sometimes the little things can go a long way, so please share any tips and supportive words you have for one another.

In the meantime, please refer to our Resource Center and our Help Center to find the latest information on our COVID-19 response, from policy updates to resources for hosts and guests.

Updated March 17th

146 Replies 146
Anthony1232
Level 2
England, United Kingdom

Hi, new to this so bear with me. Due to my property being in UK Tier restrictions, I've had to cancel 2 bookings at the end of December. One had no cancellation fee but on the other I have charged £41/50usd.

How do I go about getting this back as I believe it's an airbnb error ?

Thanks

Hi team,

I am a student and my flight has been cancelled twice due to change in govt policy because of covid 19 outbreak. 

I have been trying to explain team about my situation. I have proof email of flight can cancellation. Could you please help me. I can't efford so much loss being a student.

My email address is ausangy@gmail.com

Robbie54
Level 10
North Runcton, United Kingdom

@Sangy6  this is a forum only, you will have to either email Airbnb customer services or call them. However you can cancel your stay at your end  and cite covid as a reason for your cancellation, I've had many guests use this option. You will then receive a full refund. 

Dan-and-Erin0
Level 2
Honolulu, HI

January 7 2021. I have a 'strict' cancellation policy. Guest reserved 3 month stay due to Covid restrictions and cancelled 8 days before check-in. Airbnb gave a FULL refund to guest without my permission. Guest did not qualify for Extenuating Circumstances policy. Complete disregard for Host. They've lost us. 

I wouldn’t offer multiple month stays on Airbnb!  What if they didn’t want to leave?!  They get tenancy after 30 days in most states

Hella11
Level 2
Grainau, Germany

Then why do I have to write since hours to get the money back for guests, who have cancelled because of Covid 19 reasons and I have on top pressed the button: Full refund?

@Hella11  What do you mean by "write since hours". If you agreed to refund your guests, they should be refunded without you having to do anything else. 

Are your guests claiming they never received the refund? They won't be refunded immediately- it can take a couple of weeks.

If there are refund issues, that's something between the guest and Airbnb. There isn't anything that you as the host can do aside from either approving or declining it.

of course bnb........

I have its great experience of GECEY

Here is my story about a host refusing to refund me anything on a trip we had to cancel the day we were to arrive in Arkansas but I had a seizure, covid related damage to my lungs which cause me to have seizures without any notice. So here is my story, what happened, what we did & our host outright lying to me in a message saying he would give me a full refund if I called Airbnb & told them to call him. I did that this morning & got a message from Airbnb saying my host refuses to give me anything. So read my story & if you can help me file a claim against him for a full refund please let me know.

I live in lower Alabama & had a trip planned to Conway Arkansas for my granddaughter's graduation. I booked five days with Old Town Lodge in Conway. I talked back & forth with them. We were set to arrive in Conway on May 20th and leave on May 25th. We had planned to stop half way in Tupelo so we could rest since we're 73. Well at 2:30 a.m on the 20th when we were due to arrive I had a bad seizure which comes with no warning. It ends up causing me to aspirate food into my lungs causing pneumonia & pleurisy. I go through a lot during the seizure & then pass out for a day, sometimes two. These seizures are caused from damage, I had blood clots, from covid which I had in March 2020. My lungs are very scared from it. My husband called the hosts explaining what was going on & telling them he had to turn around and head back home to see my doctor who knows & understands what is happening & how sick I get. I was totally out the whole trip home & that night. I ended up in the hospital two days getting an IV of strong antibiotics.  Then he had a picc line inserted into my upper arm so I could get 14 days of antibiotics straight into the vein. I assumed we could get a refund because of the policy Airbnb has about unforseen extenuating circumstances beyond your control. I certainly qualify. I'm getting little help from Airbnb at all, they offered a $200 coupon for my next stay. Not good enough. I might never book through Airbnb again after this. Well I posted a terrible review on Zach's page explaining what he's done to me & then this morning he sends me an apology of sorts telling me he would give me a full refund & I needed to call Airbnb & tell them to contact him so I did call Airbnb & held for almost 30 minutes before getting a person, told them my story, sent them a copy of the message Zach sent me & now I get a message saying the host refuses to refund me anything out of the $677 I paid him. So can I bring a suit against him & Airbnb through small claims court & if I can, how do I get started on filing it since he is in Arkansas & I'm in Alabama. It's the principle of the thing that gets me. I was robbed basically out of $677 & have no recourse as far as I know. If anybody can help me email me to carol.davis.hampton@gmail.com. & tell me how to move forward

I live in lower Alabama & had a trip planned to Conway Arkansas for my granddaughter's graduation. I booked five days with Old Town Lodge in Conway. I talked back & forth with them. We were set to arrive in Conway on May 20th and leave on May 25th. We had planned to stop half way in Tupelo so we could rest since we're 73. Well at 2:30 a.m on the 20th when we were due to arrive I had a bad seizure which comes with no warning. It ends up causing me to aspirate food into my lungs causing pneumonia & pleurisy. I go through a lot during the seizure & then pass out for a day, sometimes two. These seizures are caused from damage, I had blood clots, from covid which I had in March 2020. My lungs are very scared from it. My husband called the hosts explaining what was going on & telling them he had to turn around and head back home to see my doctor who knows & understands what is happening & how sick I get. I was totally out the whole trip home & that night. I ended up in the hospital two days getting an IV of strong antibiotics.  Then he had a picc line inserted into my upper arm so I could get 14 days of antibiotics straight into the vein. I assumed we could get a refund because of the policy Airbnb has about unforseen extenuating circumstances beyond your control. I certainly qualify. I'm getting little help from Airbnb at all, they offered a $200 coupon for my next stay. Not good enough. I might never book through Airbnb again after this. Well I posted a terrible review on Zach's page explaining what he's done to me & then this morning he sends me an apology of sorts telling me he would give me a full refund & I needed to call Airbnb & tell them to contact him so I did call Airbnb & held for almost 30 minutes before getting a person, told them my story, sent them a copy of the message Zach sent me & now I get a message saying the host refuses to refund me anything out of the $677 I paid him. So can I bring a suit against him & Airbnb through small claims court & if I can, how do I get started on filing it since he is in Arkansas & I'm in Alabama. It's the principle of the thing that gets me. I was robbed basically out of $677 & have no recourse as far as I know. If anybody can help me email me to carol.davis.hampton@gmail.com. & tell me how to move forward

Melody144
Level 1
Magna Bay, Canada

Hi. I have had my first booking since Covid began and I was charged the cancellation fees for all my 2020 guests that I cancelled for. I sure would appreciate someone contacting me because it was COVID!

Anne10450
Level 1
Victoria, Australia

Actually I look at this from a different angle to many here... Sure as a host we lose bookings and thus the income... but my understanding is that AirBNB is not a Hotel.... it is more on a home stay basis... I know people have bought investments properties (sometimes many) and have made a decision to use Short term rental instead of permanent rentals for their properties, because they can earn in one night what a property can rent for in a week...  This is a business decision that means you have higher reward, but perhaps higher risk... one of those risks is that you may loose bookings at last minute due to changes in regulations re a pandemic...
I get it.... you are pissed off..... but if you go buying properties ad setting up as a business then you have to ride the trough... which is Covid..... The fact you can buy a 'spare' property to rent out means you are doing better than many.,....
Remember too ... the short term holiday rental market, who are the guys who have been making the money, have inflated the price for the general rental market... you want to whinge about loosing $30,000 think about the people who can't find somewhere to live.....

David3418
Level 4
Ringwood, Australia

I had a guest cancel at short notice with no explanation why. The email from Air bnb gave me the option to refund. I decided to refund. I have not received any money from paypal at this stage for the booking. So, it is a bit like I have refunded money I never received. Now I am concerned that the $500 I refunded will be deducted from my next booking. I would be grateful for any clarification about where I stand.