Service fees and our extenuating circumstances policy

Airbnb
Official Account

Service fees and our extenuating circumstances policy

We understand there may be some confusion on what happens to service fees for bookings that are cancelled under our extenuating circumstances policy. We want to clarify that Airbnb is refunding all service fees to hosts and guests original payment method for these cancellations.

Airbnb won’t benefit from any reservations canceled under this policy. We're truly in this together.

It’s a difficult time right now - and during times of uncertainty, it is important that we find ways to connect and support each other. Sometimes the little things can go a long way, so please share any tips and supportive words you have for one another.

In the meantime, please refer to our Resource Center and our Help Center to find the latest information on our COVID-19 response, from policy updates to resources for hosts and guests.

Updated March 17th

146 Replies 146

Airbnb is in it together for themselves.

This whole Pandemic will definitely shake-up everything on a grand scale just make sure when the dust clears make sure you don't forget this, and proceed accordingly!

Andrei4
Level 4
Vienna, Austria

They don’t really refund the service fees as they advertise. The Airbnb gives it back as a coupon for the next trip. I find it so lame...

What a bunch of %$#$@!#$&^^*&%!

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Airbnb  According to the guests, you aren't "refunding" their service fee. You are giving them a coupon instead and keeping the money. If this is not the case, please state unequivocally here that you are actually refunding the guest's money for their service fee.

Paul1255
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Sarah977 

I’ve messaged 5 guests today to ask them to let me know how they’ve been refunded- a full refund to their original payment method, or a full refund of their accommodation to their original payment method, and then a voucher to cover the service fee.

All messaged back to say a full refund to their original payment method- so perhaps @Airbnb  have changed their approach somewhere along the way?

Regardless, there’s a reason they are now addressing our “confusion” on the matter.

Agreed!  A refund and credit are not the same thing.  Total bait and switch to get some positive marketing.

I am still waiting for my refund of AirBNB service fee of $122.58. This was a cancellation due to quarantine of coronavirus persons from seattle, and covered under AirBNBs stated policy of full refund. I did not get a full refund, because AIRBNB did not return my service fee. I called support and they said someone would handle my credit and contact me. Nobody from AirBNB has handled this. Full refund means full refund and not to be AirBNB refunds none of the fees. This was a national and state emergency. Please handle the refund due me. At least respond. Been a week since I began trying to get my full refund and AIRBNB chooses to ignore all request. Please respond. At least respond. Please tell me why full refund to airbnb means less their own fees. Why are you holding my fees???

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

Funny how Airbnb is responding fast to refund accommodation fees from the hosts' payouts (my guests got almost immediate responses), but not responding to guest enquiries about refunding the service fees for a week or more...

Amen

They are despicable. A gift card is not getting your money back. So they get to keep their share and their Hosts who keep them in business gets tried like **bleep**. Nice. I have to leave here.

I didn't get a refund or a coupon.   Host was great when I explained my situation but Airbnb didn't refund their fees.

Jordan489
Level 1
Kelowna, CA

You know where you can put your tips and supportive words. 

Ann489
Level 10
Boise, ID

@Airbnbnot true.  My most recent guest who canceled did NOT get the service refunded.  She has been emailing ME for the last two days, trying to get her money back.  BS.

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Ann489 @Paul1255  Maybe like many other things, it depends on the CS rep the guest is dealing with? I.e. they didn't all get the memo? Or it depends on when the guest booked or when they cancelled? As per usual, clear as mud.

Paul1255
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Sarah977 

Potentially Sarah could be. I’m not sure that all these cancellations are happening by guests dealing with a CS rep though- how could there be enough of them to go around.  🙂🙂