Service fees and our extenuating circumstances policy

Airbnb
Official Account

Service fees and our extenuating circumstances policy

We understand there may be some confusion on what happens to service fees for bookings that are cancelled under our extenuating circumstances policy. We want to clarify that Airbnb is refunding all service fees to hosts and guests original payment method for these cancellations.

Airbnb won’t benefit from any reservations canceled under this policy. We're truly in this together.

It’s a difficult time right now - and during times of uncertainty, it is important that we find ways to connect and support each other. Sometimes the little things can go a long way, so please share any tips and supportive words you have for one another.

In the meantime, please refer to our Resource Center and our Help Center to find the latest information on our COVID-19 response, from policy updates to resources for hosts and guests.

Updated March 17th

146 Replies 146

I was just thinking the same thing. Maybe there is one already in place. I would definitely do it.

Emma385
Level 2
Broughton Beck, United Kingdom

So here in the UK you are still free to travel. No lockdown, no restriction. So why can guests cancel penalty free. If they can prove they are in the at risk category then maybe. I’ve lost hundreds already. All my cancellations have been British holidaymakers with no travel excuses. Oh and what about their own travel insurance. Isn’t that what it’s for. There will be no future hosts left unless Airbnb changes it’s policy. Cancellations with 0 income = no place to host when we can’t pay the bills. Airbnb is massive and greedy. If they want to implement such refunds then Airbnb must do so out of their pocket. Pay the guest and pay the host. Emma   

@Emma385  No travel excuses??? Do you not get this at all? People are being told to stay home and not go out unless absolutely necessary. If your govt. isn't doing this, they are being negligent. 

Emma385
Level 2
Broughton Beck, United Kingdom

I was trying to get across that Airbnb is not GOD.  If our government is saying we can still travel in our country then what right does Airbnb have to take away my only income.

I agree the government should lock down, but its not happened yet and already I am now thousands down thanks to Airbnb.  Guests should also have adequate travel insurance that covers them.  

@Emma385  Most travel insurance doesn't pay out for a pandemic-related situation.

Mike2045
Level 2
Denver, CO

Where in Airbnb T&Cs does it give them

the right to unilaterally change host terms. If it doesn’t I see a multimillion dollar class action coming to Airbnb. 

Absolutely. I'm in.

Michael4848
Level 2
Vancouver, CA

Airbnb 

Guests need to be partially responsible for the losses from their cancellations. These are primarily people spending discretionary income for non-essential getaways. Hosts are not all deep-pocketed real estate tycoons. The revenue I get from my rental is used to pay for my basic necessities. Without it I am in trouble. I don’t know how I will pay my mortgage now! When I set my refund policy, I meant it. If I had known you would or could override my refund policies for my property, I never would have done business with Airbnb. 

Michael **

These are unprecedented extenuating circumstances. And extenuating circumstances has always been in Airbnb policy. It really boggles my mind that hosts think that guests should still be billed. I am a host also by the way. This is just crazy what people are saying!

I’m with you, but my heart breaks for the hosts that are loosing it all, some sick at this time too! AIRBNB continues to do “good deeds” to others, where’s the help for us hosts? I lost 100% of my income.  

Tatjana78
Level 2
Igalo, ME

Please Guest request to cancel the reservation because of coronavirus but we haven't seen any request on the admin page or notification on a mobile app for that. How we can cancel the reservation with a full refund to him because of the virus. His trip is on 17.April. The reservation was made in February.

Alan1067
Level 2
Scotland, GB

Can hosts now cancel with no penalty? Summer about to be wiped out so looking to go for long term rent instead (which is geared too far in tenants favour too 😞). Is it ANY booking before the date or just bookings between now and June?? 

THE DATES OF APRIL 14 SHOULD BE EXTENDED !!! .... COVID-19 is moving forward ... it is dangerous and those of us who reserve in June or months when the peak of the pandemic is expected are not covered by fully covered by extenuating circumstances policy.

I agree!!! I cannot believe they have not extended the date yet. I am a host and I use Airbnb as a guest and I had a jerk host deny my cancellation request even after the event I was going to the city for was canceled.

Melody22
Level 4
Louisville, KY

I’m just wondering what you guys think should be done because it’s perfectly legitimate for people to be able to cancel given what is going on! We are in a bloody pandemic. It would be unsafe for people to travel. I’m not saying it doesn’t suck because it totally does but are you suggesting that guests just be out the money? I am also a host and wouldn’t dream of still billing my guests who canceled.