Short Term Rental Accommodation in NSW - New Rules

Nicole2507
Level 1
Paddington, Australia

Short Term Rental Accommodation in NSW - New Rules

I was wondering if anyone knows if there is going to be a template or some other provision from Airbnb that we can use to upload an emergency information booklet for our guests to access as required by the new planning rules in NSW? I know that we can make a guidebook but it is very specific and doesn't really lend itself to the kind of information we need to provide to comply with the new regulations. I have bought a booklet from an online provider (shorttermrentalsolutions.com.au that was recommended in another forum)

12 Replies 12
Wendy117
Level 10
Bexley, Australia

@Nicole2507 I just came into the Community Centre to look for exactly the same thing.  I have drawn up and laminated an evacuation diagram following all of the requirements.  Really pretty although it doesn't match the decor - but now they are sure to know to turn right coming out of the bedroom and to open the front door in case of fire. 

I have purchased, but waiting for current guests to leave to install interconnected smoke alarms,  I will just put them in the two hallways and leave the others (10 year batteries) I have in place.

Now for the Emergency Information booklet - standalone house in Sydney suburb (not coastal so no erosion)  bushfires, floods or earthquakes will not be an issue. I see the value in advising all emergency service numbers and locations  (Police, Hospital, Fire Service)  just not sure how much further I have to go.  Advice on what a Total Fire ban means - ok.  Heatwave - turn on the Aircon?  Severe weather warnings - Download BOM Weather app to mobile phone? and stay inside?   All the other emergency apps I have found are more related to when you are on the  road - not really my responsibility.   Anything else important?  What did the  booklet you purchased cover?  I suspect it would have been very generalised as huge difference between city and rural. 

Pre-covid I had a lot of non english speaking guests who would not be able to understand whatever I write, which is ok as I live on the property so can help, but I suspect many will ring the 000 number for the wrong reasons because I had to put it on the evacuation diagram.  At least any Australian will already know all this.

Try STRA Evacuation Plans they have emergency information packs and evacuation diagrams for $160 now. Really good value. www.straevacplans.com

Hi Michele, are you registered? I'm registered and have a PID number but Airbnb keeps sending my notices to get registered. How do I let Airbnb know that I'm registered? Judy

Wendy117
Level 10
Bexley, Australia

@Nicole2507  @Michele1371  Thank you.  Well I took a look at the examples and they just seemed silly generic things that would confuse not only non-english speaking guests.  I really don't want to go on about bushfires, floods, tsunamis etc - scare them silly when my area is not affected by any of those.   I just read the instructions for what is required carefully and put together my own sheet.  Far more helpful to them for an inner city property - I think anyway.  Have attached in case another inner city hosted stand-alone property wants to copy.

but airbnb didn't attach - ah well.

try again

emergency.jpg

@Wendy117 

would you be willing to email me a word version of your emergency advice? 

[E-mail address removed due to safety reasons - Community Center Guidelines]

@Lorraine36   done

Hey @Wendy117  this is awesome - could you possibly email it to me? I'm going through the rigmaroles of setting up as a host now - it's **

[E-mail address removed due to safety reasons - Community Center Guidelines]

Lorraine36
Level 2
Newcastle, Australia

Where on your listing do you post your Emergency Information Booklet? I got mine done through https://www.shorttermrentalsolutions.com.au/ in record time! I want to now post it. 

Sheryl--Lynn-0
Level 2
New South Wales, Australia

I have a question about interpreting one of the clauses in the new STRA rules and I was wondering if anyone could offer insight. 

It's regarding 5.2.1 (pasted below) - the entrance doorway must be capable of being opened from the inside without a key.  My entrance doorway can open without a key from the inside, however, it will only lock with a key and once locked must be unlocked with a key.  Do you think this meets the criteria below - ie it can be opened without a key but only if unlocked. 

5.2.1 The entrance doorway to the dwelling must be capable of being opened from inside the dwelling without recourse to a key