Should AirBnB condemn sexually suggestive language?

Malte4
Level 1
New York, NY

Should AirBnB condemn sexually suggestive language?

We were looking forward to a beautiful stay in Hawaii when our host started communicating in a sexually suggestive and condescending way, such as

- "I need you to be very good guests"

- "you can tease me if you want"

- "she is very pretty"

- "it is even more important that my husband and daughter have a great experience"

We felt uncomfortable staying with this host and cancelled our request under the strict cancellation policy. 

AirBnB refuses to condemn such behavior and refund us the fine for cancelling under the strict cancellation policy.

Should AirBnB condemn such sexually suggestive and condescending language? 

Or should we have avoided a financial loss and stayed with our host?

Curious to hear other opinions on this!

5 Replies 5
Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

Very strange comments. A little difficult to comment without the wider context of the conversations....

Who is pretty?

Is it the hosts husband and daughter who is being referrred to?

If you feel the host was being sexually suggestive to you and your family I can understand why you felt uncomfortable and want to cancel.

Mari-And-Di0
Level 3
Miami Beach, FL

Airbnb should defintiely have allowed you to cancel with no penalties to you.

Mari-And-Di0
Level 3
Miami Beach, FL

..... And Airbnb should contact hosts to inform them that that kind of innuendo is frowned upon. 

Branka-and-Silvia0
Level 10
Zagreb, Croatia

@Malte4

if you felt uncomfortable in communication with your host you should have contact Airbnb, explain the situation and ask them to cancel for you and get a full refund.

When you cancel by yourself then it is automated and you are refunded according to your host's cancellation policy.

Maybe it is not to late to contact Airbnb now and explain everything, you have nothing to lose. good luck.

Here is how to contact them: https://community.withairbnb.com/t5/Help/Contact-Airbnb-A-Community-Help-Guide/m-p/16165#M18763

Cormac0
Level 10
Kraków, Poland

@Malte

If the three sentences you quote are supposed to sexually suggestive language I'm totally flabbergasted, perhaps if your Host was naked at the time I can understand your concern. I can't see any sexual innuendo if what you've quoted.