Should I apply a version of my moderate cancellation policy on an already check-in guest?

Answered!
Kalliope0
Level 2
Athens, Greece

Should I apply a version of my moderate cancellation policy on an already check-in guest?

My guest booked my room for a good 5 week-period. After a week of being here (and loving the place, according to her) she has asked me to refund her the remaining of her stay so that she can book another place, nearer to the place where she has to be for her work. Despite my listing explicitly mentioning the location/suburb in the description (which can be googled if one wants to see how far they will be from a said point) - anyway.

I'm happy to refund her the remaining nights of her stay, but I am considering applying my cancelation policy in a reverse mode. Instead of prviding full refund when a cancellation is made 5 days prior to check in, I'm considering refunding the remaining night of her stay (with applicable discounts), minus 5 nights worth of stay that would start on the day she checks out.

The basis of my thought process is that because she booked and therefore 'took' my listing off the serach results, my chances of recovering the next five days are extremely slim. So, I'd be essentially keeping 5 days' worth of stay so compensate for the loss of potential earnings.

Does this make sense?

K.

1 Best Answer
Gerry-And-Rashid0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

Hi - I cant really follow your thought process (but put that down to me and figures).

The only thing you can do within guideliens is to ask the guest to cancel the booking from the appropriate date. You can't rewrite the policy mid way through.

Your cancellation policy will then come into effect.

If you wish  to then refund more than this, you can do so.

Remember: guest has to cancel otherwise you will be penalised.

View Best Answer in original post

3 Replies 3
Gerry-And-Rashid0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

Hi - I cant really follow your thought process (but put that down to me and figures).

The only thing you can do within guideliens is to ask the guest to cancel the booking from the appropriate date. You can't rewrite the policy mid way through.

Your cancellation policy will then come into effect.

If you wish  to then refund more than this, you can do so.

Remember: guest has to cancel otherwise you will be penalised.

I think this is in effect what happens if the guest goes in and cancels now.  The moderate cancellation rules apply mid-way through a booking for a cancellation.

Clare0
Level 10
Templeton, CA

@Kalliope0 That sounds perfectly reasonable to me since your listing has been unavailable for other bookings all this time.  I'd discuss it with your guest and come to a mutual agreement.  To refund partially, use the Resolution Center.  Here's how: 

https://community.airbnb.com/t5/Hosts/The-Resolution-Center-A-Community-Help-Guide-Request-or-Offer/...

All the best!