Should I get a partial refund?

Phoebe41
Level 1
Gold Coast, Australia

Should I get a partial refund?

My partner and I are staying in an Airbnb long term (3months +) in Japan.

Today we realised that a large amount of water had started leaking from the wall behind our bed. We contacted our host immediately but he said he can’t come until tonight (it was midday when I messaged) and none of his staff could come either. 

We had to move the extremely heavy bed and frame, all of our wet bags and belongings (mostly clothes luckily, nothing was damaged) and room divider doors which were under the bed all in to our tiny kitchen/lounge. We spent almost two hours wiping up water and wringing it in to a bucket (which we filled) and I had to deal speaking with maintenance people (in Japanese) from the building to understand that someone in the room above had caused a leak which had then affected our room. They said the problem seems to be fixed now but between the wall and floor is still wet. 

Our host said he will come tonight, but we have already done the cleaning and can’t use the apartment until we put everything back in place. 

This is not not the first issue we’ve had to contact the host regarding. 

In this situation should i ask the host directly for a partial refund? It’s been a huge inconvenience and time consuming for us when we had plans to meet a friend this afternoon but had to cancel to deal with it. We can’t put our bed back together because we want to make sure the leaking had stopped. We can’t use our kitchen because it’s full of the apartment’s furniture etc. 

What do people think? What should I do/expect in this situation? 

Thanks,

Phoebe 

1 Reply 1
Linda108
Level 10
La Quinta, CA

I think it is appropriate for you to approach the host for a partial refund based on what percentage of your stay was disrupted by the problem.  From what you describe, it seems that one day was lost to the water leak, perhaps ask for a single day refund.  @Phoebe41  It is always best to communicate through the Air BNB message system so I suggest you send a message asking for the refund so you have record of the communication.  If you approach the host in person, use the message system to summarize your understanding of the conversation.  Always ask for the host to respond via the message system.  Hope this helps.