Should I leave a negative guest review after being compensated for damages?

Ronn-and-Missy0
Level 2
Carmel-by-the-Sea, CA

Should I leave a negative guest review after being compensated for damages?

Debating whether to leave a negative review for a guest who started a fire in our microwave and never let us know this happened or a note of apology upon their check out. The fire that was started in it left horrible noxious fumes of burnt plastic in our cottage that couldn't be removed completely for our next guest (and still lingered for days afterwards, even with fans, air fresheners, etc). We did immediately purchase a new microwave which they did pay for (as we posted incriminating pictures of the damage when requesting the money). Now we are debating whether to leave them a negative review or at least mention in their review the damage they caused to our property and did not let us know. While we understand accidents can happen, it is just incomprehensible that someone wouldn't let their host know that something like this had happened, or at least apologize for it.

5 Replies 5
Ana1136
Level 10
Ohrid, Macedonia (FYROM)

@Ronn-and-Missy0 if you mention that there were damages you should also mention that the guests paid for them. I would write an honest review. 

Yes, thanks so much for your input!

Lawrene0
Level 10
Florence, Canada

Just don't mention anything to do with an Airbnb investigation, @Ronn-and-Missy0 . The review could get taken down for that. 

Start with whatever was good (checked in on time, were otherwise clean, etc.) and then add that fire damage to an appliance went unmentioned at checkout, but was made good in the end. 

Knock off a star or two for communication. 

Does that work for you?

Yes, thanks so much for your response, we'll write something like that:)

Absolutely leave an honest review @Ronn-and-Missy0 - wouldn't you want to be warned about guests like this? I would.

I agree don't mention the investigation.

I would mark them down to three star so they can't IB with future hosts.