Should a host enter a property without notification?

Dean686
Level 1
Dublin, Ireland

Should a host enter a property without notification?

Currently in the middle of a one week family vacation where we have the entire home booked. When we got back from our outing today I was told by the host (in person) that they were in the house to 'empty the bin'. No message sent, nothing.

Nothing like this has ever happened before and we find it really intrusive, so much so that we are considering leaving early.

Is this normal? Any advice please??

2 Replies 2
Jillian115
Level 10
Jamestown, CA

@Dean686 There does not seem to be an Airbnb rule that states hosts can not enter the house during a stay unless I am missing it. There may be a local government rule though. You may try letting the host know that it makes you feel uncomfortable and to please let you know in advance if they need to enter the house. 

Colleen253
Level 10
Alberta, Canada

@Dean686 I don't believe there is an Airbnb policy on this. Even if it's disclosed in the house rules, house manual or listing description that the host will need to be accessing the space during a stay for whatever reason, it's good etiquette to contact the guest and arrange a visit that is mutually acceptable. You can speak to the host and let them know this made you uncomfortable, and either come to some understanding, or let them know you'll be checking out early because of it, and would appreciate a refund for unspent nights.