Level 4
Prague, Czech Republic

Showers and blow drying hair late at night

ok with it, or not ok with it? discuss

33 Replies 33
Victoria57
Level 10
Strathpeffer, United Kingdom

@Trinity-And-Cristina0 if you provide showers and hairdryers (as we do too) then you have to expect that the guest will use them at whatever time suits them. You can't really tell them not to without sounding like a very unfriendly host.

I didn't tell the guests not to, Im just wondering how others feel about it and create a discussion 🙂

Agreed.

Leonie3
Level 7
Cape Town, South Africa

@Trinity-And-Cristina0 It is the guests' right to use it when it suits them. I have the water pipe run down next to my bedroom which givews me a heart attack every time someone showers at 3am and the water falls down that pipe. it is one of the little irritations that we have to live with. Guests are usually on holiday and therefore have crazy hours of doing things.

the shower pipe makes noise in my room as well, and not to mention the bathroom door is right near my room which she considerately left open at 1:30 🙂

I do not agree, this is airbnb, not a hotel. we are sharing the flat, we must be considerate of one another, juts like i am for my guests. if you want that kind of freedom, book a hotel

Don't share the flat then.. afterall you are running a business and the customer's comfort is still not number one priority. 

Karsten0
Level 10
Heidelberg, Germany

I disagree 🙂 It is a question of house rules, my guests are allowed to shower until 11:30 p.m. as clearly stated in my house rules. If they do not read the house rules it is not my fault. Airbnb is different from hotels so each guest should take the time to read the rules carefully before booking.

same, i ask that they be as quiet as possible after 11 in my house rules which is also printed and placed in their room. so showering and blow drying hair with the door wide open at 1:30 in the morning is, to me, quite inconsiderate

Suck it up. People are paying 👍

haha easy for you to say, you dont even share your space. how would your opinion be useful to me then?

Jo780
Level 2
Pascoe Vale South, Australia

House rules are created to avoid inconsiderate guests and if the rules are broken they can be asked by Airbnb to leave for this reason. It's not a Hotel, who also have rules. It's not a one way street. 

Pat295
Level 2
Perivale, United Kingdom

I totally agree. I have a guest who stays in my home and showers after midnight then dries his hair with his portable hairdryer. I think its a bit disrespectful waking others at such a late hour. 30 minute shower to find the bathroom absolutely drenched  

Linda108
Level 10
La Quinta, CA

@Trinity-And-Cristina0  I think it is a worthy conversation.  Even in shared spaces there are differences in how intrusive a guest's activities can be.  For me, the late shower is not a problem but I can imagine it is for others.  I would suggest you add a private message to the guest in the review.  Advise that depending on the set up of the home, the late night activity could be disturbing to hosts and may lead to a negative review.  Perhaps the guest will learn...or not.

Also, when you are orienting the next guest to the space, mention the fact that noise travels and you would appreciate their consideration of your house rules regarding certain activies after 11 PM.  Never hurts to repeat the rules.

Gerry-And-Rashid0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

I would expect as a guest (or host) to be able to shower when I wish and blow dry my hair (if I had any :-(. )

If this is a problem then you need to make it very clear that guests cannot use the shower etc between the hours of X and X. You must bring this to their attention before they book as I really can't see Airbnb siding with you when you complain someone is breaking your house rules! Think of it from a guest's perspective- would you pay to stay anywhere that said no use of show'er etc after a certain time?