Sick guest, won't cancel

Hodayah0
Level 2
Washington, DC

Sick guest, won't cancel

My guest informed me less than 24 hours before check in that his 11 year old daughter is sick (flu, cold?) and he isn't sure he can make it for his 2 day weekend booking during the cherry blossom festival in Washington DC. I have a strict cancellation policy and informed him that I would not be able to refund him but if he canceled and I could rebook, I would refund him.

He has refused to cancel AND was a no show. He is now seeking a full refund under the Extenuating Circumstances provision. 

I'm not sure how someone can refuse to cancel and also seek a full refund. My understanding from air bnb is that if they decide to refund him, I have to pay it.

Has anyone else had this experience? I understand refunding for medical conditions prior to the start of the booking but more than halfway through the booking once it is not possible to even attempt to get another rebooking?

5 Replies 5
David126
Level 10
Como, CO

Comes up every now and then, difficult as the person at AirBnb has no skin in the game and can provide a full refund.

Probably best if you think you can get another booking to get ABB to cancel when you forst came across this isse citing extenuating circumstance so it has no negative impact of you.

Sauce for the Goose etc.

David
Emiel1
Level 10
Leeuwarden, The Netherlands

Hello @Hodayah0 ,

There is a clear procedure for the guest to follow:

- cancel the reservation

- inform Airbnb about possible Extenuating Circumstances

https://www.airbnb.com/help/article/1320/what-if-i-need-to-cancel-because-of-an-emergency-or-unavoid...

quoted:

"Unexpected death or serious illness of a host, guest or immediate family member (spouse/partner, child, parent, legal guardian, grandparent, or sibling)"

Doing nothing is not the right way.

best regards, Emiel

Hodayah0
Level 2
Washington, DC

Thanks Emiel. Yes, the fact that he refused to cancel AND is retroactively trying to get a refund is a real issue to me. 

Have others had this problem? Guests trying to get a full refund after the start of their stay?

Sandra126
Level 10
Daylesford, Australia

You gave the absolutely correct response to him. I sincerely hope Airbnb doesn't give in. Whu have the policy at all if it will not be honoured?

He could claim it on his travel insurance.

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Hodayah0  I would contact airbnb and request that they review you message thread with the guest to see that it was the guest who needed to cancel and he declined to, therefore it is not correct that you take the loss.