Slap in the face. What we get in the reviews

Yulianna0
Level 10
Madrid, Spain

Slap in the face. What we get in the reviews

Being a host is really great training for patience. Not only during the stay of the guest but also after, when we are reading their reviews, private feed backs and star ratings. I’m permanently learning. One lesson - don’t try to be nice. They will put you down for it. My latest guest put 4 for check in: difficult to find. Ok. They were arriving at deep night, without internet and language. Counting with all that I suggested to pick them up near  subway. They had just to make a call as soon as they arrive there. They agreed but finally found the way to arrive without my help. And after all I’m getting lower mark for check in.       Honestly I felt like they really slapped my face...

19 Replies 19
Daniel1598
Level 10
Fairfax, VA

@Yulianna0 Don't worry about it. It may happen from time to time, but your long record of amazing reviews shows the truth. Congratulations on nearly seventy 5-star reviews. I would stay at your place in a heartbeat. I think it's great to be nice and accomodating. Don't let one disappointing review prevent you from exercising those positive qualities.

Thank you @Daniel1598🙂 I really learned not to worry about stupid demands and unreasonable expectations of some individuals. They just make me laughing (in sarcastic manner). But less than in one month I had a shot of not reasonable guests. Complains about amenities (no soap when I have variety of 6), being lost traveling without map, being 4 hours late after asking earlier check in, using washing machine for free... I have strange feeling that the quality of guests is falling down dramatically 

I have a theory that the bad ones come in bunches. It really is a law of averages, but sometimes it doesn't feel that way.

Your listing is explicit about what you offer and how to arrange for laundry, etc.  A clear listing is still the best way to make sure guests are a good fit, but sometimes they don't read one word.

Ann72
Level 10
New York, NY

@Yulianna0 I know @Daniel1598 is right, but I always obsess over the 4s.  I've only gotten a few but I remember every one of them.  A few for location (what is that about? they chose the location! I can't move the house!) and one or two for value.  One of the 4-stars-for-value came back two years later, and I was like, so you tried a cheaper place last year and it wasn't as good, huh?  And he basically hung his head.  🙂

@Ann72 frustrating for sure...a guest gave us a 3 star for value and said "the place was too expensive, or maybe I'm just cheap"...well, he knew the price when he booked, right? And that was on low season when he got the entire house for a very discounted price!

@Casita-By-The-Texas-Bay0 Aaarrrggghhh!  So wrong.  It's those cheap discount-seekers, always.  Grrr.

Daniel1598
Level 10
Fairfax, VA

@Yulianna0 Keep your chin up. Evidently the world has a mixed bag of guests, odds are that many (not all) are reasonable and considerate. Hopefully your next several are those high quality guests that us hosts love to have over. 

Ann3
Level 10
Savannah, GA

I try to not let it bug me, and @Daniel1598 's advice is spot on.  But even after 200+ stays, getting downgraded a star on any category still stings. Not as much as it once did, but I still take it to heart.

One guy not that long ago gave me 4 * on check-in. He hated the phone app and refused to use it, but didn't bother to tell me that at any point during booking or before arrival, nor did he communicate his his plans to arrive 2 hours before check-in. Had he done so, I might have made arrangements. I was in a classroom with first graders when he got here, so my phone was off, and I missed his many voice mails, only picking them up 1/2 hour before normal check-in time. When I got home,  all four of the people in the party were unhappily standing on the sidewalk in front of my house! I was able to explain to the other 3 how it works, and they understood perfectly. It was a warm day, so I opened a cold bottle of good white wine, etc., poured them each a glass, and they were fine. Unfortunately, he was the one who reviewed me. He downgraded me on value and accuracy, too. 

Ann3
Level 10
Savannah, GA

Oh, dear, where did my nice supportive post (with story about unhappy guest) go? The ways of the Airbnb platform can be a little strange. 

I had a chance to read it, @Ann3. Talk about Murphy's Law!!!

I read it, too, @Ann3 - it was lovely!

@Ann72 thank you!  I will never forget that guy. 

How can I find it, @Ann3 ? I’m curious:) 

@Yulianna0-- you can't, because it's gone. I didn't delete it, either. It just went away. Sad. I'll write it again a little later. 🙂