Sleeper sofa, air mattress or futon?

Sleeper sofa, air mattress or futon?

We need a bed of some sort in the living room and we want a high quality experience. What brands/types of futons or sleeper sofas are great? Is an air mattress better?

14 Replies 14
Quincy
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Hi @Amy191,

Welcome to the Community Center!

I think personally I'd go for a sofa bed because it is convenient. Also, I am sure a lot of experienced hosts here in the CC will be able to share useful tips about this 🙂 

Perhaps @Nutth0 @Oomesh-Kumarsingh0 @Willow3 @Jessica-and-Henry0 @Branka-and-Silvia0 @Kimberly54 @Farah1 @Marzena4 can share some useful tips? 

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines // Volg de communityrichtlijnen

@Amy191@Quincy I totally agree with Quincy about the sofa bed and I would advice you to buy a high quality one which will last for years to come and bring great comfort. 

Marzena4
Level 10
Kraków, Poland

ok, @Quincy's challenge accepted 😉

Air mattresses are only good for emergency situations - might be easily damaged, no pets on them, no kids with toys, no guests with piercing, no hard jewellery and so on. 

The question is if it is to be only a sofa for sitting or a sofa-bed. The most important is to choose something durable, but at the same time nice for the eye. Also, easy to clean and comfortable to sit on. Just a few thoughts...

// "The only person you can trust is yourself"
Branka-and-Silvia0
Level 10
Zagreb, Croatia

@Amy191

I don't like air mattrasses except while camping in summer 🙂 We have sofa bed in the living room, it is mostly used for sitting and sometimes as a spare bed for 2 people. 

Tip: if you buy sofa bed then it should be easy and simple to use and to clean.

Vallentuna from Ikea seems practical, modular thing

Willow3
Level 10
Coupeville, WA

I personally enjoy sleeping on a true Japanese futon, the kind you use on the floor and roll up in the morning.  The futon sofas, I find get a permanent bend in them, and it creates a valley.  

I would never put an air mattress in the "high quality experience" column.  I avoid at all possible costs!  

So that leaves a sofa bed.  I purchased one from Club Furniture and because it rarely gets used to sleep, I did not spring for the extra thick mattress... but if it gets any type of regular use, I would definitely do so.  As it is, I find the mattress quite comfortable and I spent a week on it after an injury prevented me from climbing the stairs to my bedroom.  I've been very pleased with the piece.  Best part, I was able to customize the sofa so I got exactly what I wanted.  It took a few weeks to be made and delivered, but it was a great experience from beginning to end.  I'm looking to replace a sleeper loveseat and will use them when I do.  

Kimberly54
Level 10
San Diego, CA

OK, ever heard of a Murphy Bed?  Definitely on the higher-end, but amazing!  I can't seem to paste a link on this forum, but Google Murphy Bed and dive into the experience!  

The company has been around FOREVER. 

I don't have a Murphy Bed, but I bought a Secret Bookcase Door from them which I LOVE.  This actually helped me split my house into two discrete living areas--the little bookcase in my bedroom is a real bookcase (with cabinet!), and is also a door into my own bathroom... which adjoins my office.  COOOOOOL!  

I know... too many mystery movies as a child... but don't worry, no secret decoder rings, and haven't used invisible ink since I was twelve. 😉

Best!

Kim

I love Murphy Beds!   I keep trying to find space for one in my home (low sloped ceilings, very few walls tall enough, lol). But they aren't  helpful for daytime seating issues.  And I read the query to be needing seating too... but if no seating is needed, yeah, consider a Murphy!  We slept on one during our recent trip to England.  It was lovely.  

Chris232
Level 10
Petersfield, United Kingdom

In the Log cabin I used to have a Futon but found it was so uncomfortable.

Came across Murphy Beds, they come in different sizes and are perfect for small spaces. Installed one in the Log cabin and found it to be incredibly comfortable.

The bonus is that if you install it on a 6 inch raised platform then you can have a sofa in front of it with a removable back + best of both worlds,  a very comfortable sofa during the day, 10 seconds later a comfortable bed.

Chris232
Level 10
Petersfield, United Kingdom

@Kimberly54

Great minds think alike ... lol

What brand Murphy bed do you have?

Robin-and-Mami0
Level 5
Honolulu, HI

Great points by all.  My vote is for a platform sofa sleeper.  They are easy to operate, durable & comfortable. There are no pipes, springs, wires or mesh to bend or foul - they just have 2 wood platforms with a hinge in the middle.  The mattress is usually much thicker than the metal frame types.  Leather tends to last longer, easier to clean than fabrics.

Could you explain a little more what you mean, or give an example of a platform sofa sleeper?

I'm searching for something that becomes a queen, but pulls out the along the long way, similar to a futon.

Thanks!

Sorry for replying late, I was randomly searching and got to know about this thread. I personally enjoy sleeping on a sofa bed. As these sofas work so well in our living room. So, I will highly recommend you to go with sleeper sofa. Well, not having a good experience with air mattresses, Few months back, I had one and needed to change those with organic mattresses on my brother's suggestion about this site, as organic mattresses are way more comfortable than air mattresses.

Pete28
Level 10
Seattle, WA

I hate to generalize, but sleeper sofas are typically terrible to sleep on, expensive, and can be easily broken by the heavy handed guest...

It's also worth considering the attrition rate on the sofa - I already had to replace all cushion fillings after a year, and staining etc seems very likely as you can't control guests eating / drinking. I went with a fairly cheap, robust sofa in a dark color.

I bought a roll away single bed which has been ok, but the reality is that a normal mattress would have been better and cheaper.