Smart lock malfunctioned and guests were locked out

Nassif0
Level 2
Houston, TX

Smart lock malfunctioned and guests were locked out

Hi community,

this past Saturday my guests were locked out because my smart lock malfunctioned. It kept locking over and over again. They couldn’t go back in and my security company couldn’t fix the issue remotely. I had to drive there and let them in. It took 2 hours for the entire ordeal. They said that this situation ruined their night, because they couldn’t go out anywhere. I apologized for the inconvenience and would give them a $50 refund. They refused, one wanted an entire night and the other wanted 2 nights refunded for ruining their evening. I responded that they were locked out while they were headed out, therefore they could have kept their plans. Had they gone on their outing, I would have fixed the door before they returned. Should so give them 2 nights, 1 night or the $50 I wanted to initially give them?

thanks in advance.

Nassif

1 Reply 1
Emiel1
Level 10
Leeuwarden, The Netherlands

@Nassif0 

Technical failures can happen. It was a maximum of 2 hours inconvience, and even could be at no convience at all if they continued their plans.  $50,- is great gesture, they can go out and have some drinks from it.

Best regards,

Emiel