Smoker / Non-Smoker check box for everyone

Answered!
Phil82
Level 4
Adelaide, Australia

Smoker / Non-Smoker check box for everyone

The smoker v non-smoker debate is the perennial philosophical conversation starter.

Smoking has detrimental effects on others around them

- passive smoking from second hand smoke is a real thing and has potential to cause cancer. No matter how far away the smoker is, if you can smell it then you are breathing smoke carcinogens. Whether it is just outside the window, the door or on the street. AirBnB NEED to get on the 'protect people' bandwagon and give people the option to not have smokers around them in more than a casual, tokenistic way.

- passive smoking and stale tobacco smell can cause asthmatics to have an asthma attack. This is not a pleasant experience for either party to witness or have happen to them. Surely this is not the type of "experience" AirBnB wants their guests or hosts to have. 

- stale cigarette/tobacco smell lingers on the smoker and is transferred from them to items they sit on or lay down upon. Most people recognise that this smell is unpleasant and lingers. This is another "experience" that I suspect both AirBnB guests and hosts would prefer not to have.

- cigarette butts are commonly left by smokers - not all, but a significant number have little respect for others, which is not surprising given the little amount of respect they have for themselves by choosing to smoke in the first place. Cigarette butts on the ground are not aesthetically pleasing and are not environmentally friendly, taking considerable time to break down. No one wants to see this litter or have someone litter their premises in this way.

- both littered cigarette butts and stale tobacco smell adversely effect subsequent "experiences" and "reviews"  for both hosts and guests as they stay around for longer than the period of time the actual smoker was there. Careless and thoughtless smokers do nothing for the AirBnB image and AirBnB experience.

- it is embarassing for both smokers and non-smokrs to broach topics of "do you mind if I smoke?", "I'd prefer you not to smoke", or "you have breached my non-smoking house rules, please stop or leave". Again this does not make for a pleasant "AirBnB experience".

How hard is it to create a simple check box for all AirBnB users to tick when applying as either guests and hosts, and then matching hosts and guests according to "smoking", "non-smoking" or "don't mind smokers or non-smokers" rule sets. 

In this day and age it seems absurd not to have this as a requirement given all the serious negative effects and liable that AirBnB opens itself up to.

It's about time AirBnB takes the lead on this and adds this simple check box in its application routine.

Both smokers and non-smokers will benefit form this in the long run, and the AirBnB experience will no longer be traumatised by smokers being paired with non-smokers and vice versa.

With best intent for all concerned,

Phil

🙂

1 Best Answer
Sherry114
Level 3
Taupo, New Zealand

I am all for a tick box being added, so smokers can go to accommodation that allows them to smoke.  I, too, am tired of reminding people that smoking is not allowed, only to find them trying to sneak around to have a smoke anyway.

I’m sick of smelling cigarette smoke in The apartment after a guest leaves and then trying to get rid of the stinch.  I am tired of worrying that the next guests are going to smell a lingering odour.

View Best Answer in original post

5 Replies 5
Marzena4
Level 10
Kraków, Poland

@Phil82 Yes, I'm in favour of the non-discrimination of non-smokers. And I'm fed up with playing hide-and-seek with smoking visitors.

// "The only person you can trust is yourself"
Sherry114
Level 3
Taupo, New Zealand

I am all for a tick box being added, so smokers can go to accommodation that allows them to smoke.  I, too, am tired of reminding people that smoking is not allowed, only to find them trying to sneak around to have a smoke anyway.

I’m sick of smelling cigarette smoke in The apartment after a guest leaves and then trying to get rid of the stinch.  I am tired of worrying that the next guests are going to smell a lingering odour.

Thanks Phil, I found your POst...now how do we contact AIrbnb most effectively to ask for this to happen?   JAn

Mark1351
Level 1
Hopkins, MN

I ended up booking all my Croatia stays in Priceline because it was too hard to find the non-smoking rooms in Air BnB.  You can't often tell until you select "Book" whether an accomodation is non-smoking.  Why this rather obvious slight when almost all other booking companies have a non-smoking filter?

This is marked as "Resolved" when it is not at all Resolved.  Why does Air BnB ignore its members?