Smoking (NOT) Allowed Filter

Brendan10
Level 4
New York, NY

Smoking (NOT) Allowed Filter

My wife and I cannot be the only travelers who specifically want to book places that don't allow smoking, right? In fact, I imagine the majority of guests want the same thing, but AirBnB only gives us a "Smoking Allowed" checkbox, which limits our searches to specifically places that we DON'T want. How is that helpful? We have to click through every place, go to amenities, scroll.. that is a silly amount of work for something that someone brainstorming search filters for an MVP travel app would have come up with in the first 5 minutes.

Is there any chance that whatever decision led to omitting this important feature will be reversed in the near future? And if not, perhaps an explanation could be offered.

Thanks,

Brendan

25 Replies 25
Daniel985
Level 1
San Marcos, CA

I agree.  Please add this feature.  This is a huge oversight by airbnb. 

Agreed Brendan. There is a filter for "smoking allowed", but not for no smoking. Airbnb is doing a great disservice to it's travellers, it's nonsense. Shame on Airbnb

Margo42
Level 2
Annapolis, MD

Thank you for starting the conversation.  I am trying to book a place in Italy where smoking is common and it's very important to me to find non-smoking rental.  Please add this feature as soon as possible.  It seems like a no-brainer to me.  

Scott431
Level 2
Montreal, Canada

The answer of course is that airbnb has made a business decision to cater to smokers, presumably to maximize its profits. If they let people filter for non-smoking only accommodations, hosts will feel pressured to make their places stricly non-smoking in order to show up in searches - and smokers would then be less inclined to book with airbnb.

So you have to actually read every ad to find out if they allow smoking, pets, etc. and you have to simulate a reservation to find out what the place actually costs with all the optional fees. Plus they don't even let you search by neighborhood. Personally I'd rather just get a hotel on booking, which is transparent and easy to use, given the amazing amount of work it takes to use airbnb.

Actually, when people book with me that are smokers, they will not let me know or ask until check in. And then only will I allow them to smoke outside. This is OK to me except each and every time I have to deep clean my space to get rid of the smoker scent taking four hours to turn over instead of two. Smoke outside my place, fine, but expect an increased cleaning fee which I am still trying to figure out

Jimmy281
Level 2
Salt Lake City, UT

Absolutely wild that this has still not been implemented in 2019.  

It's clear that Airbnb doesn't care.  The implementation of this would be very trivial for a giant company like this.

They would rather you book into a place that stinks like smoke.  Then, if you cancel, they get the service fee...which is the ONLY thing they care about.  Not the hosts.  Not the guests.

If they cared about the guests (or hosts), this would have been implemented long ago.

Andrew1844
Level 1
Bluffdale, UT

I've been frustrated with AirBNB due to the time it takes to filter out the hosts that have pets or allow pets or allow smoking.  It's an easy fix it seems, but AirBNB seems to intentionally not be taking the time to add this feature.

I really enjoy staying at good AirBNBs when I find them, and I can save money instead of staying at hotels, but it takes a bunch of time to filter out homes with pets or smoking, which both are bad for my allergies.

I wholeheartedly support this (as a sometimes smoker).

Different people and cultures have differing ideas about non-smoking.

eg no smoking anywhere on the property, or smoking allowed outside but not inside.

We sort of match the local hotel rules on smoking, not inside, ok outside.

It's a useful filter to add.

+1

Evgeni115
Level 1
Sofia, Bulgaria

It's 2022, AirBNB! Still not implemented. Going over to another booking site...

Sean1284
Level 1
Calgary, Canada

It also disgusts me that we don't have this filter, but the reality is that if you looked at the "Smoking Not Allowed" homes available in Paris or many other smoke-heavy cities, there would be very few accommodations available.  For myself, as I cannot tolerate smokers whatsoever, I suggest connecting with the host first to ensure that they have no existing smoking tenants or don't smoke themselves (or else they can smoke outside the premises of the accommodation).