Snake in house!

Paige207
Level 2
San Diego, CA

Snake in house!

Hi All,

We are fairly new to hosting and had a weird issue tonight. Our property is located in a more rural area of San Diego. I always let the guests know that since it’s rural there is potential for wildlife spottings (snakes, coyotes etc.) and to always be vigilant. Our guests tonight texted me at 9pm stating there was a baby rattlesnake in the house. I have never in my entire life living in San Diego have seen a snake INSIDE any of my homes. Long story short I called the fire department they removed it within 30 minutes of the guests contacting me (turns out it was a baby Gardner snake). I refunded them a night as well. 

My questions.. do I now need to make signs on the doors that say “please keep the doors closed to keep critters out”??? I feel like most of this is common sense but clearly not? There is no way a snake got in the house in any other avenue than through an open door. 

Does a one night refund seem fair? 

17 Replies 17
Debra300
Level 10
Gros Islet, Saint Lucia

@Paige207,

In the Safety section of your listing do you disclose that there are dangerous animals in the surrounding area?  If so, you are covered from a hosting violation standpoint, but as Colleen said, put up a sign at the property. 

Brian2036
Level 10
Arkansas, United States

@Debra300 

Actually I think it’s a good idea for everyone to check the dangerous animals box.

There are dangerous animals everywhere.

The worst ones are technically human.

Paige207
Level 2
San Diego, CA

Thank you all for the advice! Appreciate it 🙂