Some guest claims to have lost a camera in our apartment

Chi0
Level 2
Berlin, Germany

Some guest claims to have lost a camera in our apartment

Hi guys,

I'm quite new here, we just started to do Airbnb in September and we actually only had great experience. 

Now we are facing a problem that makes us really helpless.

We hosted three guests last week and one of them lost his camera on the last day. i do believe he lost the camera, but he said he lost it in our apartment, whereas there was nobody in our apartment except us 5 (me, my boyfriend and these three guests). And there wasn't any trace of breaking in, on the same day when he seemed to lose his camera (he doesn't know when he lost it), four of us were home almost the whole time and his laptop (it was a nice Macbook Pro) was on the table the entire time, too. So that was really mysterious. 

He totally trusted that we did not steal his camera, I told him to check everywhere he wants and there's nothing we would hide in our apartment, but he said he trusted us and wouldn't do it. 

two days later his father called me and said he booked the room and he will accuse us for having stolen the camera. (Whereas we are a start-up with a studio and a camera of our own, so we really did not need to steal a camera from the guests. Moreover we know of coursee how maddening it could be if something goes stolen in our place, why should we steal something from our own guests to ruin the future renting??) 

Anyways his father insisted he would do us harm if we don't pay him money for the camera back. 

I'm really helpless now, I called Airbnb but they don't seem to be helpful, the one on the phone said this almost never happens. But does this mean a guest could simply accuse the host for stealing stuff if he/she likes? What shall we do?

Thanks a lot in advance!

Best regards,

Chi

6 Replies 6
Ed-and-Hugh0
Level 10
Miami, FL

Report this to Airbnb and Flag their message. Extortion is against the Airbnb policy.

Forward a copy of the e-mail to the police and file a complaint. Extortion is against the law.

Airbnb recommends that travelers get travelers insurance. This is especially true if they're traveling with expensive cameras, computers, etc. Guests should file a claim with their travel insurance provider.

Hi Ed,

The thing is - we don't have any e-mails! He just called me all the time and threats me he would report us to the police (which we suggested right after the camera was claimed to be stolen!). 

I also asked him if he had insurance on this and he said no and claims we should have had insurance to cover possible larcency. When I said we didn't have one, he insisted we stole the camera...

Should I send Airbnb something else? 

Thx so much, Ed!! This was still great help!

Best regards,

Chi

Donna15
Level 10
Delft, Netherlands

Chi, what an unpleasant situation. To me, it sounds very much like a scam.

For one thing, it's suspicious that the guest did not accept your offer to let him search the apartment thoroughly. And the fact that the father is now threatening you is entirely unacceptable.

In addition, the fact that the father - a third party - made the booking is against AirBnB regulations.

This man is trying to bully you via blackmail. Inform him that he needs to contact AirBnB himself if he wants to complain, as the matter is out of your hands. Then have no further communication with him.

If all of your communication has been via AirBnB - which I hope it has - then this paper trail will clearly expose the nature of the father's behaviour, as well as prove that you had given the guest the opportunity to search your apartment.

I'm a relatively new host myself, so I hope someone more knowledgeable and experienced will come along to advise you. Perhaps there's even a link to information that would be useful for you.

Now take several very deep breaths. 🙂

Dear Donna,

Thank you so much! This is really very comforting to hear! I have never experienced things like this with or without Airbnb, nobody has ever accused me for stealing anything. So hard to believe!

Thank you for your great advice - I should have done that earlier! I will write to him a message and tell him from now on the communication will only take place on Airbnb, I will no longer answer his calls any more. 

Thank you so much! i hope this soon ends!

Best regards,

Chi

Donna15
Level 10
Delft, Netherlands

Chi, I hadn't read the others' responses before I posted. They made excellent points.

The very fact that this man is phoning you is a huge red flag.

I agree with @Ed-and-Hugh0. Report him to the police.

I've had a look at your listings. I'd suggest that you set up more stringent guidelines in the House Rules section, including that guests are required to have health and travel insurance.

I understand you might not want to list a lot of 'do's' and 'don'ts, but after reading hundreds of posts on this forum over the past couple of months, I've completely changed my approach from 'warm and fuzzy' to 'objective and clear'. 🙂

It's important that guests know exactly what's required, and - one hopes - prevents misunderstandings. This helps ensure that the right kinds of guests are attracted.

Of course, I realise that your current situation is quite out of the ordinary.

I'm sure you have an email address for the guest himself. I'd suggest emailing him to say that any complaint must be registered with AirBnB, as the matter is out of your hands. If the father harasses you with one more phone call, inform the police.

Maybe you could even record that phone call.

In any case, have no further contact with either the son or the father.

Dear Donna,

Can't believe how much you helped us! Thank you so much for your quick and informative replies! I will update our house rules right away! 

You are right, I guess we are making these changes now, too! We grow on troubles, sometimes it's good, sometimes not. 

I'm still trying to stay positive, but you are right about the father, I already wrote to Thomas (or his father because apparently they are sharing the same account, at least the phone number wasn't from Thomas but his father) that I will only communicate with him / his father via Airbnb. 

I will also try to record the phone call if he does try to call again.

Thanks again for your help! We will improve after lessons learned!

Best regards,

Chi