Sometime in 2020 Los Angeles is going to make the ruling for non-owner-occupied short-term rentals.

Sandee6
Level 3
Los Angeles, CA

Sometime in 2020 Los Angeles is going to make the ruling for non-owner-occupied short-term rentals.

Sometime in 2020 Los Angeles is going to make the ruling for non-owner-occupied short-term rentals. Until then I can continue to do short term rentals as this ruling has not been made.

I am communicating with customer service and they are suggesting that I only take month-long rentals. But if the law states as of this moment I can do short-term rentals in my properties that are non-owner-occupied do I need to lose several thousands of dollars in revenue for November and December? Can you escalate this to someone that knows that I can continue to do business as I do now because I am within the law in Los Angeles.

4 Replies 4
Sally221
Level 10
Berkeley, CA

I wouldn't expect any good legal counsel from airbnb & I would look into what laws you would fall under in your area regarding renter's rights- a month long tenant might be much harder to evict if they turn out to be troublesome. I don't see how you would be doing wrong by doing sro's during the remainder of 2019 but I am not a lawyer, good luck, Sally

Rachel54
Level 1
Los Angeles, CA

This is the latest information regarding this issue and it looks like the city council approved a pilot program to allow short term rentals in owner occupied rent controlled units. I did apply for a registration number in October but was denied due to the ban on RSO properties. I have since contacted the the city and asked the question- still waiting for a reply. General help inquiries to airbnb are answered by who have no knowledge at all about this. If I do hear back from the city, I will post.  
Council File: 18-1245 pilot program. Subscribe via emailPrint this recordPublic Comment
Title
Homesharing Regulation / Primary Residences Subject to Rent Stabilization Ordinance (RSO) / Council District 13 / Pilot Program
Date Received / Introduced
12/11/2018

Last Changed Date
11/07/2019
Expiration Date
11/05/2021
Reference Numbers
Related Council File: 14-1635-S4
Direct to Council
Yes
Council District
Mover
**File Activities
Date Activity  
11/07/2019 Council action final.   11/05/2019 Council adopted item, subject to reconsideration, pursuant to Council Rule 51. Click to view online docs 11/01/2019 City Clerk scheduled item for Council on November 5, 2019 . Click to view online docs 11/01/2019 Motion referred to Council (Tentatively scheduled for 11/5/19). Click to view online docs 11/01/2019 Council action final.   10/30/2019 Council adopted item as amended, subject to reconsideration, pursuant to Council Rule 51. Click to view online docs 10/25/2019 City Clerk scheduled item for Council on October 30, 2019 .   10/22/2019 Planning and Land Use Management Committee approved as amended .   10/18/2019 Planning and Land Use Management Committee scheduled item for committee meeting on October 22, 2019. Click to view online docs 06/18/2019 Planning and Land Use Management Committee continued item to/for a future meeting and requested Staff to report back.   06/14/2019 Planning and Land Use Management Committee scheduled item for committee meeting on June 18, 2019. Click to view online docs 12/11/2018 Motion document(s) referred to Planning and Land Use Management Committee. Click to view online docs

Have you all heard any updates on this yet?  I can't find any.

I got a code violation in December.  Now it's Feb 2020.. still waiting for owner-occupied exemption, which I heard was an idea proposed 10/2019.

Thanks for sharing this. Do you have any updates?