Special Offer to be non-refundable

Brian102
Level 2
Hamilton, Canada

Special Offer to be non-refundable

I have a request for the Christmas holidays and want to make my offer non-refundable. How do I do this?

16 Replies 16
Maya17
Level 4
Basel, Switzerland

The best you can do is make your cancellation strict, but this doesn't mean non-refundable. It's 50% non-refundable up to 7 days before arrival, then 100%.

I'm aware of that option...was hoping for a stronger arrangement, as I will be making special arrangements to make the house available!

Brian102
Level 2
Hamilton, Canada

I have a request for the Christmas holidays and want to make my offer non-refundable. How do I do this?

Momi0
Level 10
Honolulu, HI

@Brian102   Are you asking because your current listing is MODERATE cancellation?  I have one suggestion....change your listing to STRICT....make the offer and write them a message letting them know that you will ONLY accept this booking with the understanding that there will be NO REFUND if they choose to cancel after confirming the booking.   IF you want to change it later, then do that.  But everything in writing via the message board from the host to the guests is upheld by Airbnb. Hence why they want everything written via the message board and not directly to peoples' cell phones. Easier to make your claim that way.

But make sure the guests understands and writes back to you saying this:  "We agree that there will be no refund of any kind should we choose to book for dates of ______ to ______ 2016.  Make sense?  Good luck.  Let us know how it works out.  Aloha, Momi - Superhost in Hawaii #LiveAloha

p.s.  But @Maya17  is correct about the STRICT policy.   

If you feel that me or another host have helped you, feel free to click on the "thumbs up" button at the end of any post. Thank you so much.

Aloha, Momi

Great way to contact Airbnb or via Twitter at AirbnbHelp / Facebook

Sounds great...and just to be clear...IF the guest cancels, my resolution (with the supportive dialogue) is with Airbnb via their resolution centre? IF Airbnb hasn't collected a penny, they're still ready to payout?

@Brian102   Are you aware that Airbnb collects FULL payment from every traveler PRIOR to them getting a confimation booking email?  Your statement and question makes me wonder whether you understand about payments.  Airbnb definitely wants their money before they will release any confirmed dates to any traveler.  And they hold onto that money until after check in of course for 24 hours more.

As I suggested, take a moment to reach out to Airbnb via social media to get their advice, but I can tell you that I put everything in writing via the message board and in my listing to ensure that my instructions are very clear in every booking. I make travelers write a statement back letting me know they have truly read my House Rules and agree to follow each and every rule.  Airbnb will not release the money unless there is a cancellation based on what your listing says and then if your policy is Strict, and they do cancel 7 days prior, you can file a claim within the resolution center, but YES, I would highly recommend you ask that question to them first.....make sense?  

If you feel that me or another host have helped you, feel free to click on the "thumbs up" button at the end of any post. Thank you so much.

Aloha, Momi

Hi @Momi0 and @Brian102,

I would caution you against trying to tell someone that there will be no refund as they are bound to the cancellation policy you have set at the time they book.  I don't think it would matter what you told me, Airbnb will support the cancellation policy set at the time the guest booked.  But, I guess you could take a chance!

David

Superhost Ambassador ~ Host Club Community Leader ~ Community Expert ~ Experienced Co-Host

@Dave-and-Deb0  As I wrote previously several times to @Brian102, I advised him to contact Airbnb Help to get their advice and help.   I even suggested he call Airbnb before writing the guests back with the Special Offer. I would greatly appreciate it in your future replies that you recognize that I HIGHLY SUGGESTED he contact Airbnb before proceeding in his quest to get this booking.  More importantly, I always recommend that EVERY host should take the time to read the entire website, term and conditions and policies of Airbnb.  

FTR - I did not advise him on taking any chances.  I clearly stated that he change his policy to STRICT.  And reminded him that  Airbnb will uphold that policy.   

Good to see you are awake at such an ungodly hour to read these posts.  Get your beauty sleep Dave....lol - Momi

Aloha, Momi

Momi0
Level 10
Honolulu, HI

@Brian102   Yes please do post, as there are many people who would like to know what their advice would be.  But I can say this....I have had the full support of Airbnb on a serious situation where my listing was very clear about something and the guest was in major violation and was asked to leave by Airbnb. And I called them to get advice on the matter too.  So helpful!   Aloha, Momi

p.s.  pls be sure to appreciate all those who take the time to help.  We hope it works out. 

Aloha, Momi

Guess what...YOU are absolutely right! A little new to posting etiquette - Thank you!!!

@Brian102   You are very welcome!!! ....but dont' forget to include the @ sign when you are specifially writing back to a certain host as it was your posting that was written, not mine.  So it won't go to me unless you add my name like this ------>  @Momi  (make sense)

p.s.  just another helpful tip.  🙂

Aloha, Momi

@Momi0 Again...nice tip...and Thank You...I can hardly wait until the family wants to visit Oahu. 🙂

Maya17
Level 4
Basel, Switzerland

Not sure if that would work, Brian, in this case it's definitely something you should confirm with Airbnb directly before you try. Good luck and do post the answer as I'm sure many hosts would be interested as well!

I agree...Thank you!!