Squatting on toilet seat (this is a bit gross, sorry)

Answered!
Laurie104
Level 2
Livingston, MT

Squatting on toilet seat (this is a bit gross, sorry)

I am a new host and would appreciate help understanding a cultural difference and how I can manage this.

I recently had guests from China and from the unfortunate liquid fecal remnants left all over the toilet, including the underside of the toilet seat cover lid and along the side of the toilet paper roll next to the toilet, it appeared to me that at least one guest had squatted on the toilet seat instead of sitting on it, which allowed the diarrhea to spray so far outside of the toilet bowl.

I live near Yellowstone National Park and have noticed that every bathroom has a sign graphically advising all users to NOT squat on the toilet seat, but to sit directly on it (or slightly hover over it if one does not want any contact with it). I didn't understand this at first, but clearly there are cultures in which squatting on the toilet is normal.

Does anyone know if this is specific to China or are there other countries and cultures where this is a normal practice?

I am considering putting up a sign, like the one I saw in Yellowstone, on the underside of my toilet lid when I have guests from China or other countries where squatting on a toilet seat is a normal practice. If I were a traveller and was doing something that created problems for my host, I would certainly want to know about it and would appreciate respectful guidance. At the same time I don't want to insult people or to have a sign that seems absurd or even offensive to guests where this is not a normal practice.

Any perspective or advice would be most appreciated! 

Thank You!

1 Best Answer
Sophia
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Hi everyone, 

Please note that this content has been archived.

You can still access if if you have the link but it won't appear when you search on the Community Center.

To ask a new question just click below:

Stephanie_0-1677152405466.png

Thanks

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines

View Best Answer in original post

13 Replies 13
Sora0
Level 7
Singapore

My home country do paste note to remind public not to squat on toilet seat. So you may do that if you want. It sounds alrite. The reason why China or rather some people squat on the toilet seat is they scare the seat is dirty. Its some how own personally point of view not to do with culture.

Ezalb0
Level 2
United States

Sorry to hear what had happened to you.

I used to deal with tourists from mainland China when I was working in a theme park.

Same situation that some tourists from mainland China squat on the toilet seat and leave shoes prints and feces all over the place (I often encountered parents who let their kids to pee or to go no.2 in public area as well), I think it has something to do with the cultural preference since many of the toilets in mainland China are squatting design. You may wanna do more research about if this habit is specific to China or in some other countries as well.

You may look into some references from countries that take lots of tourists from mainland China like Japan, there are public facilities such as the airport, provide squatting toilet or signs that are written in both English and Chinese to let the tourist know not to squat on the toilet seat for others' consideration. I wouldn't think to put up a sign specific to certain people with certain habit as a discrimination or an offended act. It would actually be a good thing to do so to let the others respect your/particular culture.

In your case, it doesn't seem necessary to make a squatting toilet just for occasional tourists with squatting preference.

If I am you, I would put a sign on the restroom door in the language which you host most, to ask the guest to please respect your place and the others, at least to clean up if they do so because you are hosting a place for vacation but not a commercial hotel. Also, go with a penalty notice if anyone made such mess, as I would see it as property damage for leaving any area dirty and unhygienic.

Hope it helps.

Andrea9
Level 10
Amsterdam, Netherlands

@Laurie104

The norm in India, esp. in public areas is squatting toilets. Take getting used to when you're travelling there, but they're much more hygienec because you never by mistake touch a filthy seat. And I can tell you, when I was there and had no choice but use the grubby facilities, I was often so happy they didn't have our toilet seats! The squat version is installed and tiled into the floor and can also be hosed down for cleaning - much quicker and easier than cleaning a western-style toilet.

I had to laugh though, that everywhere they did have western toilets there were signs to not squat. Guess they knew why!

And really so sorry you had such a gross experience! 

I don't think having a little sign ready to use is a bad thing. I have one in petto too that I haven't had to use yet.

Thank you @Andrea9,

In many parts of the world our idea of a toilet, is very different from theirs (see pic below), imagine spending your entire life going to the bathroom one specific way then you go somewhere else, and the toilet is different.  You're going to go with what you know.  Westerners look just as odd to easterners when we are looking for the place to sit over their toilets, and wind up making a mess because we never learned to aim in a squat properly.

Toilet in China (and most of asia, india, etc):

For a venue that is supposed to have such lofty ideals of international travel, I find some of the posts here remarkably narrow minded.

We’re traveling in NZ right now and all of the public toilets have the no squatting sign. Two of the toilets my wife tried to use were covered in poop and unusable. Somehow I don’t see how being against that is narrow minded. When in SE Asia I used the hole in the ground with no problem. You use what is available .... but use it correctly!  Sit on the seat don’t sh-t on the seat!

@Laurie104

Like the image that @Andy184 shared, in Asia (especially rural areas) squatting style toilets are still fairly common so if you have such guests, having images (instead of words) will be helpful to get the point across. And a lot of bathrooms in Asia are "wet" bathrooms so some people may not understand that excessive water on the bathroom floor could be a problem. 

Another thing that is unfamiliar to Asians is a bed runner 🙂 

From an Asian point of view, people wearing shoes inside homes is unimaginable. Especially wearing shoes that you wore outside, no matter how well you scrape the bottoms on a mat before entering, wearing them on carpets in your bedroom to us is just YUCK! 

This is all I can think of right now~! 

Thanks to everyone who replied-very helpful and much appreciated!  I did start using a sign and that solved the problem.

Thanks again,

Laurie

Leo91
Level 2
Mississauga, Canada

Reminds me of a note in a pit stop service centre : Attention truck drivers please sh....t in low gear .

Mary489
Level 2
Peel Forest, New Zealand

I am having touble with the Chinese standing on the toilet seats and breaking them.   I have new toilets now but would like to get signs to say do not stand on the toilet seat also signs with No entry,Staff only, and Private in Chinese and English.   I am in NZ.

Quincy
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Hi @Mary489,

A little while ago I've seen a host here on the Community Center who used this sign—perhaps you could do the same? 

toilet squatting.png

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines // Volg de communityrichtlijnen

Yes, Thank You, I did start using a sign and that seemed to solve the problem.

Victoria567
Level 10
Scotland, United Kingdom

Hi @Laurie132

To accomodate this great chasm between cultures have a potty or a chantie as us Scots call it in your toilet area.

Sorry I know it’s flippant but really, it’s like some chav Brits going abroad and expecting to eat nothing but fried bacon, eggs and chips with HP sauce....

........the saying,” When in Rome, do as the Romans do”, instantly comes to mind as well the thought that for some of these unfortunate guests you’ve had to deal with......there is more culture on my lavatory seat than on their wee pinky finger!😉

Sophia
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Hi everyone, 

Please note that this content has been archived.

You can still access if if you have the link but it won't appear when you search on the Community Center.

To ask a new question just click below:

Stephanie_0-1677152405466.png

Thanks

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines