Stains on my counter, fridge and bed sheets from guest cooking

Stains on my counter, fridge and bed sheets from guest cooking

I had a guest quarantine for 2 weeks.  My house rules state to please wipe up spills from cooking to avoid stains (ie. Turmeric).  This guest promised to keep the apartment clean but once she was gone I found stains on the counter, fridge, and bed sheets.  I got some of the stains off the counter but still visible.  The sheets look the same after cleaning them.  Is this something you leave in a review or complain? Or is this just the cost of doing business.  We learn how quick people can ruin a space in a short amount of time.  Or do I increase my price to off set these issues?

1 Reply 1

@Jenny1368  It sounds like the guest made normal use of the kitchen and cleaned up after herself, but lacked expertise in removing the residual stains from your countertops. That sounds acceptable to me - when you're a host, being an expert in stain treatment is part of the job. You can be glad that your guest didn't make a misguided effort to remove the stain with a caustic substance that could have permanently damaged the surfaces. 

Your costs should definitely cover incidentals such as a torn or stained sheet here and there; unless there's evidence of a truly egregious misuse of the items, that is as you say the cost of doing business. And while it's reasonable to expect guests to tidy up after themselves (e.g. wash their dishes, remove garbage, clean up spills), your costs should also compensate you fairly for the deep-cleaning in your changeovers.

As for the review, I don't think I'd have anything negative to say if the guest communicated well and followed the House Rules.  If you feel that greater care or respect could have been given to the place, it's OK to say that, but for what it's worth, you can always expect heavier use of the home from a guest under 24/7 quarantine than from a tourist who's out and about most of the day.