Star Rating Mistakes

Star Rating Mistakes

I am a new host and I am really enjoying my experience so far!  I've had great guests who have left me some really amazing reviews.  The last two left 4 stars overall but 5 stars on all the detailed categories.  They also left great comments.  After the second guest I decided to reach out to them to find out if there was a reason for the 4 star overall rating.  Each of them said it must be a mistake.  The first said her finger slipped and asked if there was anything she could do to fix it.  The second said she had left me 5 stars on everyting and also asked if she could fix it.  When I looked for an answer I realized that it wouldn't be an easy fix.  I decided to leave it alone until I saw how it effected my progress metrics.  The dashboard even says that if it continues, they'll take down my listing.  Its really just because i'm new and don't have many ratings yet.  This is a mistake and honestly, I understand how it happened.  They were in a hurry and made mistakes.  It could happen to anyone.  I'm glad they left feedback at all because they both had a lot going on.

There needs to be a way to correct these mistakes after both people have submitted thier rating.  They didn't even know they had done that until I told them.  I recognize that the integrity of the rating/review system is important, but nothing is foolproof.  They should at least be able to be removed (though I hate to do that when they said such nice things.)  Has anyone else had this issue?  How did it turn out in the end?

12 Replies 12
Emiel1
Level 10
Leeuwarden, The Netherlands

Hello @Amanda452 ,

Such things happen and there is nothing to do about it. But the good news is : it happens to everybody, not just you. Quoting: "The dashboard even says that if it continues, they'll take down my listing.": It's the useal nonsense a lot of host have to suffer from on their dashboard. In my case it says: I have to work on one of my listings (Lol!) , next to it it says: congratulations, you are almost a superhost ! Remember: it's just a piece of software threatening us !

Thank you!  That does make me feel a lot better.  🙂

Thats ridiculous!! Air Bnb moderation should be able to make alterations when needed - of course, I guess that would make a lot of trouble.... I'm going to start telling my guests that anything under 5 stars will not be tolerated. I've been cleaning my place to spotless perfection, and still getting dinged for bugs that are common all over the island - not my fault!!!! 

@Sunsong-And-Gopal0, you can't really say you won't tolerate anything under 5 star. That comes across as a bit threatening.

Stephen-And-Etty0
Level 2
Rotorua, New Zealand

yes very frustrating Amanda , there are a lot of guests who just don't leave 5 star reviews , go figure.  lately i have struck a "malicious" guest who left a 2 star rating for cleanliness , as opposed to all the others leaving 5 stars ,  my question is WHY can't airbnb moderate these type of people who are only out to sabotage your good work if 1 out of 100 does this ,Airbnb should be able to remove their review. all the best with the reviews

@Stephen-And-Etty0 - Because you can't pick and choose which ratings you want/don't want. Fair? Probably not. But life rarely is. 

Gordon0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Amanda452 I think you've shamed these people in coming up with their own brand of fibs! I mean, a finger slip...seriously?

Many guests are plain weird, and while they may spew lovliness in your face, when it comes to rating you, it may be a different story. 

Just do what you do, and it'll level itself out.  

Mark949
Level 2
London, United Kingdom

I have had the exact same thing happen with two of my last three stays and Air BnB just don’t want to know. It’s infuriating and could easily be remedied by making the overall score automatic based on what the other scores are. 

Everytime I message an ‘expert’ they end my conversation without any help. 

Don't give up, Mark. They can DELETE it if the guest calls and says they hit the wrong button!

Mike

@Michael6252  I doubt that Mark is still fretting about it. That post is more than 3 and a half years old. 🙂

Katherine307
Level 3
Strathpeffer, United Kingdom

Hi. I just had two really nice guys who rated me 5 stars for everything but the review showed 4 stars! How can that be right???

Katherine,

Same thing happened to me! You must get the guest to call Airbnb and request that they're review be DELETED, as they made a mistake. they will do it once the guest requests that because they hit the wrong button!

Mike