Star ratings don't match up

NY-Blue-House0
Level 3
New York, NY

Star ratings don't match up

Hi all,

After 3 years being a host, I think I still can't understand Airbnb rating system!

Recently I just received 3 guests' 5-star reviews. But the total number didn't move at all.

It is still 4.92.

And before those three 5-star reviews, I had one guest gave me 2 categories of the review for 4-stars.

It went down to 4.91. (Good thing her review was removed due to Airbnb policy).

So, those 5-star reviews just help to remain what I have, and it doesn't help to boost my current scores?!

Thank you for your time!

6 Replies 6
Debra300
Level 10
Gros Islet, Saint Lucia

@NY-Blue-House0,

Besides personal satisfaction you won't see any benefits with having a hirer rating, because it's quite good already.  You'll still attract the same quantity and quality of guests.  I don't think there are many guests who will stay in spaces that have ratings of 4.9X and above.  Your SuperHost bonus remains the same, and you'll still get substandard assistance from the SuperHost dedicated customer support.

Elaine116
Level 3
Clynder, United Kingdom

@NY-Blue-House0I felt that way the first time I got a review of less than 5 but it is inevitable at some point because you can't please all of the people all of the time. It seems that once you've received a rating lower than 5 it won't go back up to 5 no matter how many 5 star reviews you get. You are as you say just helping to retain what you have. @Debra300 is absolutley right though in that you have a very good rating at 4.9x , it doesn't affect your Superhost status or benefit and iI haven't found it's made any difference to future guests whether you're a 5 or 4.9 star listing.

Colleen253
Level 10
Alberta, Canada

@NY-Blue-House0 

@Debra300 Makes very good points and I agree you shouldn’t fuss about it, but here is an informative post on the subject of ratings that may help you understand more, 

https://community.withairbnb.com/t5/Help/Will-I-ever-get-back-to-a-full-five-star-overall-rating/m-p...

NY-Blue-House0
Level 3
New York, NY

Thank you all! Does it mean the total score will only go down no matter what?
Only takes one guest to drag the whole score down? 

@NY-Blue-House0 No, your rating can go back up. It goes down a lot easier than it goes up though!

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@NY-Blue-House0  "And before those three 5-star reviews, I had one guest gave me 2 categories of the review for 4-stars."

None of the separate category ratings factor into your listing rating. The only rating that is used is the "Overall" rating, which is a separate rating, not an average of the others.