Stolen Engagemnt ring

Alejandra723
Level 1
Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic

Stolen Engagemnt ring

My engagement ring was stolen during my stay at Casa Linda (Hosted by Peggy) , a complex in Sosua,  Dominican Republic, I have an open case for almost a month, and to this day, I still have no conclusion, a customer service agent says one thing, another another ... and I'm still waiting after a robbery that left me devastated and with an unimaginable sadness, I don't know what else to do ...

4 Replies 4
Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Alejandra723 Does your travel insurance not cover the loss?

@Alejandra723  Or what about the insurance on the ring?

Colleen253
Level 10
Alberta, Canada

@Alejandra723 So sorry for what you've experienced. I'm not sure how Airbnb is responsible though. As others have said, what about your own insurance?

Heidi588
Level 10
Santa Cruz la Laguna, Guatemala

I would suggest you read Airbnb's terms of service. I think you'll find the host and Airbnb are not responsible for the actions of others or insuring guests for others' actions. If you had a friend stay at your home and someone broke in and stole their ring, or another of your guests stole it, you would not be responsible. I don't know if your homeowner's policy would cover it, since such things generally cover the property of the homeowner,  not temporary guests. Maybe the host has such a policy and you could get reimbursed after the deductible. But normally, one is repsonsible for insuring their own belongings. If you were injured on the property because of the owner's neglect, then they and their insurance policy could be held liable. 

I care that you lost your ring and that it hurts. Sometimes people do crappy things in life and leave those they harmed with the resposibility for dealing with it, along with the pain. Whoever stole your ring was a thief, but you don't have to take on an identity of being their victim, that gives them way more power than they merit. They stole your ring, not you, and not the one who gave it to you.