Stolen Lockbox - Who is responsible?

James2515
Level 2
United Kingdom

Stolen Lockbox - Who is responsible?

Hi everyone, 

This is a complicated one!

We are staying in an Airbnb for six weeks. There is a lockbox outside for the outdoor key, and a lockbox inside the main door (block of flats) for the indoor key. During this six week stay, we went away for a week, and were instructed to leave the keys in the respective lockboxes. We left them both in the outdoor lockbox (our mistake), whereas we were supposed to leave one in the outer and one in the inner lockboxes. 

Unfortunately, the outside lockbox was stolen during this week (along with both sets of keys) when we were away. 

Unfortunately, the locks will need changing now.

My question is - where does the responsibility lie? 

Thank you so much!

10 Replies 10
Colleen253
Level 10
Alberta, Canada

@James2515  Seems reasonable that you should be responsible for the cost of changing the indoor lock. Only the one (outside) lock would need to be changed if you had followed the instructions you were given.

Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@James2515 I don't think you are responsible for either lock to be changed. The host should a) recognise that even the best lockboxes are not 100% secure and b) should have insurance or c) accept the risk of using lockboxes. 

We use stones but accept we do so at our risk

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

The only thing you could be held responsible for is the indoor key.

whats the host suggesting @James2515 

James2515
Level 2
United Kingdom

Hi everyone, 

Thanks for the responses so far. Thus far, the host hasn't said anything but they have said we will have a conversation; I am trying to get my bearings on what is fair. 

To add a bit more context, I was asked to leave the key in the lockboxes for the cleaner (I had actually totally forgotten there was a second lockbox otherwise I would have done it - my girlfriend opened the house up when we first arrived so I never really engaged with the lockboxes).

The cleaner never actually took the keys from the lockboxes so it was not needed. If she had taken them from the lockboxes, the inner key would have been returned to its rightful place. 

I don't think that dramatically changes the story-line, but it paints more of a picture.

@James2515  Personally I don’t think that’s relevant. And what the host ‘should or shouldn’t do’ according to other hosts opinions isn’t really relevant either. Are you going to tell the host how they should and shouldn’t operate when it comes to lock boxes and keys etc? 

You didn’t follow the instructions set out, and that fact is what the host may focus on. IF the host asks you to cover the cost of at least the indoor lock, and you refuse, you may earn yourself a rather unfavorable review that cites your inability to follow instructions and refusal to pay up when that inability cost the host money. Which would be true and fair. Have your conversation with the host and find out what they think first. Depending on the outcome of that convo, you might want to weigh out the pros and cons of how you respond. Just food for thought, and my opinion only. 

Hi Colleen, 

I completely understand this side of it, and that is why I am on here. 

I am interested to hear about your thoughts on how I had to cancel clients last minute, and lost out on work as a result of this. Even if I had put the keys in the perfect place, this would have happened. 

Does it sound reasonable to subtract the work fee from the equation? 

"I am interested to hear about your thoughts on how I had to cancel clients last minute, and lost out on work as a result of this. Even if I had put the keys in the perfect place, this would have happened."

Sorry @James2515 , I don't see that in your original post. You would need to explain what you are talking about first, before any comment could be made. 

At the end of the day, it's your choice how to proceed. If you're willing to chance a less than favorable review, go ahead and fight with them. Only you can decide whether it's worth it or not. You would be in a solid position if you had  followed instructions. 

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

Why would you have to cancel clients- if you are working remotely you could have gone to a cafe to have your meeting while your GF sorted out the Airbnb issues.

Now you are just sounding petty about potentially having to spend a few pounds getting a key cut @James2515 

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

Doesn't sound at all complicated. Not your responsibility that the lockbox was stolen, but very much your responsibility that you failed to follow instructions about putting one set of keys in the inner lockbox. Had you done that, only one lock would need to be replaced, rather than one. 

So your responsibility to pay for the inner lock. "I forgot", "my girlfriend opened the doors when we arrived", and whatever else you are talking about re your clients, is immaterial. Just behave like an adult and pay to replace the inner lock if that's what the host suggests.

@James2515  I agree 100% with @Colleen253  and @Sarah977  that you are responsible for the primary costs that resulted from your own error - that would be the cost of replacing the inner lock.  It's much the same as if you had mistakenly taken the key with you on your trip and lost it, so the details about the cleaner are completely irrelevant.

(Sidebar:  I would differentiate between the primary costs and tertiary costs; i.e. had the apartment been robbed as a result of the lockbox theft, you wouldn't necessarily be responsible for replacing everything that was stolen).

If you also suffered losses as a result of the mistake you made with the keys, you and only you bear responsibility for those. By no means should you even think of deducting that from the compensation - it would be more offensive than offering nothing at all.