Stolen keys - guest wont refund lock replacement

Isabela12
Level 2
Montreal, Canada

Stolen keys - guest wont refund lock replacement

Guest arrived at the apartment, asked for the keys to the place (he ignored when I tried to show the apartment), left "to pick up something in the car" and didn't return. 20min later, he canceled his reservation. When asked to return the keys, he replied "in a bit", and when asked again he said "tomorrow". Because of this suspicious behavior and knowing he lived only 20min away from our city, we felt unsafe in our own apartment and decided to replace the lock. The keys were returned 27 hours (enough time to make copies) after cancellation when we said we'd like to avoid contacting the police.

I put him on the Resolution Center for a refund and he refused to pay, saying "When I arrived the place was dirty and and smelled bad. I didn't feel comfortable staying there so I booked another place to sleep. I can send you proof."

Everything is clean and pristine, and he didn't seem to be bothered or anything, just in a hurry to get the keys and leave. Now, I paid 229$ to change locks and he won't give me back!

15 Replies 15
Linda108
Level 10
La Quinta, CA

@Isabela12  I looked at all 4 of your listings and did not see a security deposit so you would have to look to the Air BNB host protection policy to see if a delayed return of your key and your changing your lock would qualify for insurance reimbursement.  Hopefully you communicated with the guest via Air BNB messaging and you have supporting documents about your expenses in order to file a claim.  I suggest you consider a security deposit in case there is damage ( even great guests can have accidents) so it is an easier process to recoup damages.  Also, you have flexible cancellation so you have limited ability to get full payment when a guest cancels the same day.  You have quite a few reviews that are very positive, so maybe you have been lucky to only have one unhappy guest.  

Thanks for the comment. Actually, my cancellation is Moderate. But yeah, I never thought something like this would happen, so never asked for a deposit. 

All the communication was through AirBnb, and I even called them for advice. The customer rep told me to get a new lock asap and they would refund. So I did what she told. 

I simply don't understand how someone who lives only 20min away and was looking for a place to crash paid $43 for 2 nights and got so demanding about the cleanliness of a place he barely saw. It doesn't make sense! 

So ABB said they will refund the cost?

David

Yes, but the procedure they asked was by asking a refund to the guest, who denied

I am not surprised the guest said no, so I am not clear how it was described to you, how you would be reimbursed?

David

it's true. The lady on the phone (on the first time I reached them on Sunday) didn't explain how precisely I would get the reimbursement. When I called again yesterday, she said I should make a request through the Resolution Center (asking the guest)

Lawrene0
Level 10
Florence, Canada

Taking the keys for so long, along with the excuses and living only 20 min away, does seem pretty suspicious, @Isabela12. Not sure whether you can get your lock-changing money back, but I would have changed those locks, too! Glad you are safe and not burglarized, and hope the host protection helps. Think about adding a security deposit. It can't hurt.

David126
Level 10
Como, CO

Keys can be copied very quickly, I do not expect you could recover the cost with or without a security deposit.

David
Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

Hi @David126

Interested in your view on this. Why do you feel you can't make a claim for changing locks in a situation like this?

The premise is that the person had evil intent and could have copied the keys.

Any guest could copy keys, you can get a key that says not be copied, not sure how guaranteed that is, but a help. How do you know which guest has evil intent and which does not?

So the reason for the claim is that you suspect the person is a crook, you have no evidence.

The keys have not been lost/stolen, I do not see how the Host Guarantee as written would apply. We know in practice it does not seem to be applied as written but this would be an expansion.

So basically you are saying I gave you a key, I think you are a crook, therefore I need to replace the lock and want you to pay for it?

I have heard of Insurance covering new locks where the keys have been lost or stolen, but not where you suspect someb ody who had access to them.

The solution is a lock that can easily be changed at no or little cost.

David

I gave you the keys to my house because you booked a room with me. You cancel the reservation and don't return the key. You live within a 20min ride from my apartment and you saw what's inside. I ask for the key back and you say you'll give the day after (no sorry and without a good excuse on what's going on), when I'll be working at my company and unable to stay home waiting for you (meaning: the apartment will be empty until 6pm). The next day, I send 2 messages and you don't reply. Finally, I send one more message saying I'd like to avoid involving the police. You finally answer. But by this time, I have the lock replaced for my own safety.

I don't like judging people, but after having had a gun pointed to my head 2 times and seeing someone with this behavior, better be safe than sorry...

I do not doubt your suspicion and I may well have had similar thoughts.

The issue is getting somebody else to pay. 

I certainly can think of things I have done based on gut feeling.

David

When you go through the resolution center you have the option to escalate to AirBnB if the guest refuse.

David
Cynthia-and-Chris1
Level 10
Vancouver, WA

I state in my House Rules there will be a $25 charge for lost/stolen keys.  I can (and have) taken my deadbolt to the local locksmith and had it re-keyed for under $10, so that part is easy peasy.  Instead of having a locksmith come to you, I advise you take your hardware to the locksmith yourself to avoid their service charge.