Stomach flu and Security Deposit

Jill96
Level 5
Balgowlah, Australia

Stomach flu and Security Deposit

Hi There, 
I've been running a one bedroom airbnb for the past 14 months and not once had any issues with guests.  In fact everyone has been wonderful, not even had a glass broken.
I have an elderly couple staying here at the moment and unfortunately the gentlemen took ill last night with stomach flu and actually passed out in the timber floor area and vomited in the kitchenette area over my rug etc.  I felt very sorry for him as he had to have an ambulance called and he's here visiting his daughter who is about to have a new baby.  They are a lovely couple.
They check out tomorrow and I have had to throw out a rug worth $100 to replace, I also have to organise for the place to be cleaned thoroughly with bleach as it's the only way to kill the bug on surfaces.  The whole kitchenette area has open plan shelving so I will have to wash everything including all the plates, cutlery etc. I have also had to block out the next two days after they depart so I can get the carpets and mattress steam cleaned and leave enough time for them to dry. The floor hadn't been cleaned properly and his wife was walking in and out of the bedroom onto the carpet.
I do have a $600 security deposit attached to their booking, but how can I prove germs?  I can take a photo of the rug which I have had to throw out but the whole cleaning process and loss of business is arguable.
So do I just grin and bear it as part of the business or do I take it further and put in a claim?  All up including the lost business it will cost about $656 before my extra cleaning time. ($100 rug, $206 carpet cleaner, $350 lost nights, plus my extra cleaning hours)
I don't want to ruin their holiday!
Thanks,
Jill

13 Replies 13
Alexandra316
Level 10
Lincoln, Canada

Hello, 

Have you spoken to them about it? I would take that step first: explain the situaton, and politely ask if they would we willing to cover some of the costs that you have incurred. You can collect money through the Request Money button. 

If they are not receptive, you could contact Airbnb to get the money, but be prepared that you will need to provide lots of documentation to prove that extra cleaning was required. If you plan on going this route, I would make sure that you are documenting everything that happened through the Airbnb messenger rather than discussing the issue verbally with your guest. Also make sure you have pictures.

Good luck! Hopefully it all works out. 

Alexandra

Hi Alexandra,

They actually check out tomorrow and I just want to make sure that there is no further damage before I put it all together in a message.  There could (I hope not) be further damage.  I was quite upset in the fact that as I was mopping the floor for her and scrubbing vomit off the walls that she made herself a piece of toast and sat down to eat it while I scrubbed!

She has actually emailed me to tell me about the gastro bug, vomit and rug, so I have that documented.  I will speak to them before they leave to ask if they would be happy to cover some of the costs.

Thanks for your time.

Jill 🙂

Sounds like norovirus -- it can cause profuse projectile vomiting that lasts for 24 hours.  You are right to bleach everything.

Stock up on Zofran.  You will probably catch it since you had to clean up the mess.  I am sorry you had to go through this.

Linda108
Level 10
La Quinta, CA

Damage and extra cleaning can be claimed through the security deposit, @Jill96, but probably not your blocking out your calendar  or lost business.

Your sensitivity to the guest situation is what a great host does.  

Hope you don't get the flu!

Jill96
Level 5
Balgowlah, Australia

In an update..... Haha, how things change dramatically!  The gentlemen came to my door 12 hours later the night before their check out and said his wife had very bad indigestion and looked awful!  I pushed past him and called 000 before even seeing her!  She was having a heart attack!  We administered 300mg of Aspirin and by the time the ambulance crew arrived she had just finished the last mouth full.  They ended up staying with me for one more week, luckily for them I had blocked the dates to be able to clean!  She recovered here after two days in hospital and they left as very happy guests. Ps. I never charged them for the rug! 🙂

Wow, sounds like the guests were a handful (not entirely their fault). I'm glad it turned out okay for everyone. Did they end up paying for the extra week so that you were able to recover your costs?

Jill96
Level 5
Balgowlah, Australia

Yes the poor couple, I felt so sorry for them.  Luckily they were fully insured and also had reciprocal health cover with Australia.  They did pay me the extra week and it all ended happily ever after for everyone! :). They were extremely grateful and even bought me gifts when they left.  My first ever 'problem' ended up as bit of a drama, but it all sorted itself out in the end!

Rene-and-Zac0
Level 10
La Quinta, CA

I’m just a Country Girl @Linda108 but if the ambulance carried off my guest to the hospital?

The last thing I would be thinking about is who’s going to pay for the rug he messed on.

Maybe you are understating your level of compassion but this reads very ‘cold and callous ‘. 

@Jill96 ‘You know it’s hard out here for a Host’

@Rene-and-Zac0 maybe you need to read the OP again: the issue with the rug occured before the issue with the heart attack. They were two separate incidents and not related. 

Maybe read the entire post? 

@Alexandra316 The problem with Public schools now is they don’t really get into problem solving, reading comprehension and critical thinking.

Two ambulances were called.

One for each guest.

’You know it’s hard out here for a Host’

@Rene-and-Zac0  Perhaps you directed this post to the wrong host.  I complimented the host on her compassion and did not mention the rug.  I think that sometimes this business requires we act as humans before businessmen or businesswoman.  

@Linda108 You’re correct. Wrong image tapped in the @ feature pop up. 

Sorry I don't understand @Rene-and-Zac0?  I cleaned up someones vomit, then helped a woman having a heart attack, then put them up for another week  when I had maintenance scheduled because they had no where else to go and did their laundry and shopping for them.  Cold and callous isn't who I am.