Stuck in Verify Photo ID

Answered!
HoaiAnh0
Level 1
Beppu, Japan

Stuck in Verify Photo ID

So this is my first time using Airbnb, when I press the Request to book button, Airbnb asked me to verify my ID (using passport, visa, ec.) The problem is the system keep insisting that my government ID photo and the photo (selfie) I just took myself doesn't match.

Customer Support didn't help much but tell me to try links to links but the result doesn't change. I've tried with my passport photo is both scanned or taken by phone, my selfie is well-lit. I'm a foreigner living abroad and, I just want to book a room and I don't want my first time experience here become something full of hatred. Would appreciate any suggestion!

Thanks in advanced.

1 Best Answer

@HoaiAnh0 - the picture you are using now on your profile is of someone in a tan, hooded jacket, with the hood up, petting a cat.  You cannot see any part of their face or body.  It is not a profile picture that Airbnb can verify.  The picture needs to be of your face - something they can match to your passport as they use an automated service - which may be why you are getting a validation error.  Many hosts will ask for a picture in which they can recognize you when you arrive at their door.  The picture of person with cat could, quite literally, be anyone.  Personally we would require a picture where we can identify you by sight.  It's the only way we can be assured that we let you in and not a stranger.  

Additionally, the link for verifying is to help you get fully verified by Airbnb - which is looks like you have completed.  

View Best Answer in original post

135 Replies 135

I booked over 100 times and even though my ID is fully verified they are asking for Selfies again, which stay on their database forever.

Otilia10
Level 1
Lisbon, PT

Hi im having the same issue... i have already taken 2 times a photo of my self for the verification and says its not me? Shall i just cancel the booking? I would like to finish the booking as the stay its for work trip?

Same problem here. I actually spoke to support and their solution was :

Airbnb Support10:24 AM
Mike, you can deactivate this account and create another to avoid an hassle.
Helen427
Level 10
Auckland, New Zealand

Unbelievable answer @Mike1971 

Did you try that suggestion?

Guess you would be told you are unable to use the same email and phone number to when creating a new account, that's if there systems are robust to prevent multiple accounts from the same person...

Keep safe &  thoughts are with you all in Australia with the ongoing issues due to there fires.

From across the Tasman Sea 

Central To All Home & Location, Remuera, Auckland, NZ

The latest from an Airbnb supervisor (Justin) is that you have to upload selfies annually now.

"this is to consider changes in your hair, facial features and the likes....

I apologize if this has caused inconvenience for you and we will not be forcing you to upload a selfie if you feel uncomfortable with it, though it may prevent you from booking a listing. I hope that you understand and I appreciate your patience on this matter.

Regards,

Justin".

Charlotte725
Level 1
Oxford, GB

Same issue here, despite being verified and having booked countless times in the past five years. Suddenly I need to match a selfie to my passport photo they already have on file. And it will not recognise me. I've tried like seven or eight times. IT IS ME!!!

@Charlotte725, love that grin on your face for reaching to the top of the hill  in your profile pic.

It reminds me of so many who over the years I've taken for walks to the top of our hills to admire our local views.

Where is the pic taken?

How many miles/ kilometres did you walk to get there?

Central To All Home & Location, Remuera, Auckland, NZ.

Aww! It was actually in a race, it was at the top of Scafell Pike, England’s highest mountain. It was a 45km race that took in that ascent. I was going for rather a long time. 

Helen427
Level 10
Auckland, New Zealand

How many people have been unable to make bookings, and Hosts have lost bookings due to this issue?

It must be costing ABB profits overall.

When I had this problem, I was told by Customer Services to keep completing the process, which was unacceptable.

It was through asking in here to Laura & Fraser22 it was sorted.

Customer Services staff are NOT IT staff.

It's IT that need a huge shake up & cull, as in notices saying, Don't come Monday as these things should have been resolved permanently, along with other IT glitches like Log In and IB etc not functioning.

One has to question if someone in IT is refusing to acknowledge their incompetence and failure to provide ABB a reasonable standard of service.

Have colleagues left because they to are frustrated by the actions of whoever it is that's pulling the reins, if this is what is causing users the ongoing issues?

Just wondering as sometimes there's workplace abuses of positions of power just like in personal relationships  in society.

They want annual selfies now, for everybody. I went to the press on this and Daily Mail might look at picking it up, hopefully one of the news guys pick it up as then we'll get an answer at least from the top".

Charlotte725
Level 1
Oxford, GB

Apparently after a conversation with customer services yesterday, I’m going to get an email from “a higher up department”. Meanwhile I’ve lost my booking. Does anyone want to lay odds on whether such an email will appear? Seems unlikely considering they’ve ignored my online chat thus far. 

Przemek10
Level 1
Warsaw, PL

This is insane. I booked 2 months ago in Toronto for 4 weeks with no problems. Gave the host and received 5* reviews... Now I'm trying to book a 4 day holiday home in Kenya and am stuck in verification hell. In my passport photo I don't have a beard that I currently have so no effin way are the selfie and passport matching... Should I shave for airbnb???? Isn't there a manual verification process if somebody is trying to upload their selfie 5 times???? Well I'm off to VRBO and airbnb are losing their commission.

@Przemek10 

No, there is no manual verification process.

Read my 15 page reverification story. I am still not verified.

https://community.withairbnb.com/t5/Gastgeber-unter-sich/Ich-mu%C3%9F-mich-verifizieren/m-p/1182242#...

Peter2574
Level 2
Oadby, GB

seriouslyAirbnb ---fix this issue!!!!

Ivan-Mauricio0
Level 1
Chula Vista, CA

Thank you so much ! I think this is what is occurring with my account. I'm going to try this right now