Stuck in Verify Photo ID

Answered!
HoaiAnh0
Level 1
Beppu, Japan

Stuck in Verify Photo ID

So this is my first time using Airbnb, when I press the Request to book button, Airbnb asked me to verify my ID (using passport, visa, ec.) The problem is the system keep insisting that my government ID photo and the photo (selfie) I just took myself doesn't match.

Customer Support didn't help much but tell me to try links to links but the result doesn't change. I've tried with my passport photo is both scanned or taken by phone, my selfie is well-lit. I'm a foreigner living abroad and, I just want to book a room and I don't want my first time experience here become something full of hatred. Would appreciate any suggestion!

Thanks in advanced.

1 Best Answer

@HoaiAnh0 - the picture you are using now on your profile is of someone in a tan, hooded jacket, with the hood up, petting a cat.  You cannot see any part of their face or body.  It is not a profile picture that Airbnb can verify.  The picture needs to be of your face - something they can match to your passport as they use an automated service - which may be why you are getting a validation error.  Many hosts will ask for a picture in which they can recognize you when you arrive at their door.  The picture of person with cat could, quite literally, be anyone.  Personally we would require a picture where we can identify you by sight.  It's the only way we can be assured that we let you in and not a stranger.  

Additionally, the link for verifying is to help you get fully verified by Airbnb - which is looks like you have completed.  

View Best Answer in original post

135 Replies 135

Problem:  My license (front and back) was taken via the computer camera.  "Nice shot," was read after several attempts.  Although, not nice enough since not accepted.  Any suggestions??

Larry112
Level 1
Newcastle, Australia

I tried to use a laptop to take a photo and it used the forward camera, not the selfie! I got someone else to take a photo on the laptop but that was rejected. It wants me to use the app on my phone but I have nowhere near the 422 MB of memory on my phone for this. I would have to delete most of my current apps first!  NOT happy.

I have tried umpteen times to send them the second ID pic. It just does not work and Air does NOT help. I have not been paid for three months and my solicitor is now on the job. How dare they do what they do. They are heading for BIG trouble and we hosts are the ones to give it to them.  Look out Air. Soon we'll be sending you the **bleep**.

Andres226
Level 2
Netherlands

This is nightmare!

After days looking for an accommodation we found the perfect spot. But after 12 hours of tryng my reservation was cancelled because the system didn't recognised my ID!!!!

This is very very  frustrating, and it gives me an very unprofessional impressions of the whole platform.... 

Raminder0
Level 2
Oslo, Norway

Big time problems uploading a latest photograph and having it accepted by the system.I am a host but Air Bnb is letting me use the same profile which I had before as a Private user.I dont look exactly the same I used to look like 6 years ago.Am I suppposed to shave my French beard away  and color my hair?

This is so funny! I cant get a new PP every now and then to match my current appearance.The mails keep on coming saying that my face doesnt match the photo on the PP ID.They already have accepted my 3 year old photo as a profile photo and it appears on the Dashboard as well.Well why is that acceptable ? That doesnt match my Passport ID photo either.Instead of replying to our querries Air Bnb uses the valuable time of its community and saves own headache! Nightmare!

Peter1093
Level 1
Piara Waters, Australia

I am having the same issue and have taken the picture multiple times in different lighting scenarios. The system keeps saying "Nice Pic and looks clear, it did not jave an issue with my ID (Driving License)

come on Air BNB this is very poor technology and you need to be able to intervene quickly if the system cant make a match, I could not event find a help contact number or phone number, it must be well hidden. My enthusiasm for this is waning rapidly

@Peter1093  Can you crop out the photo on your ID and upload that. Then they are the same pictures for the match. 

James1012
Level 1
Bournemouth, United Kingdom

I had similar problem in that every selfie I took and submitted (16 of them) was rejected

Spoke to advisor and he said the picture on my profile wasn't a particularly good one.

I took another selfie, and used it to replace my profile photo.

Then I went through the "submit selfie" process again - BINGO - I was verified.

Jim

Lu60
Level 1
Feusisberg, Switzerland

Same problem.

having the same issues as everyone else, why don't they resolve this issue. If I was renting I certainly wouldn't advertise on their site, people can not book! MISSING OUT!

Sheila243
Level 1
Kelowna, Canada

It doesn't work. I tried many times. I even took at picture of my DL picture, put it on my computer, cropped it and took the picture of that same picture which is on my DL. Still says it doesn't work. One of there agents said he has tried 9 times and still can't get his done. Another said that they are getting numerous calls and complaints about this. I think that it is the responsibility of Airbnb to fix their issue and should not be asking for this until they do. I know people in the past that only had to upload a picture off of their computer. Airbnb should not change their policy until they know their system works. I also suggested that they should have a real person with some common sence doing the checks. I am also a host and have removed that requirement as it doesn't work. The place I am going to as a guest removed it off of his when I informed him of the many hours I spent trying to do it and how poor their system is. I suggest that others do the same if they want people to actually have the ability to book at their place and avoid the frustration. I suggest that anyone trying to book send a message to the host so that they will know why they are not getting the booking and the knowledge to make the decision to remove it off of theirs. Great concept if they could figure out how to make it user friendly, which they have not so far obviously.

Sheila, that won't work. The requirement you're referrring to is an option hosts can choose to accept only guests with verified governement issued ID. This new requirement is to verify that the government issued ID is in fact authentic and belonging to the account holder for Airbnb (you don't have the option to opt out once you have been "chosen" to verify your government ID. If you're a host, Airbnb will suspend your payouts until their facial recognision software matches you with your government issued ID. If you're a guest, you won't be able to book a stay until your face and ID match. Support tells me that eventually every host and guest will have to verify their government ID with facial recognition.

I see now that this is an old issue, and after almost two years, nothing is resolved. 

Elijah17
Level 2
Anchorage, AK

I am having the same problem.  Air B and B keeps saying that my photo isn't clear enough.  WTF?  They have a photo ID of me and I've tried different lighting etc.

Elijah17
Level 2
Anchorage, AK

Tried to take a picture of my ID too and that didn't work.  So glad that customer service is so helpful.

Happy Opposite Day Everyone!!!