Subpoena from Hawaii taxation to obtain records for account information

Gladys5
Level 2
Kailua-Kona, HI

Subpoena from Hawaii taxation to obtain records for account information

Aloha, 

I have been with Airbnb since around 2012.  I just received notice from Airbnb that The Hawai’i taxation department has Subpoenaed information regarding my account.  I haven’t checked with a CPA yet as I received this email yesterday.  Anyone in Hawaii, specifically the Big Island have this requested?  I am up pretty up to date with my taxes, so wondering what this means.

Any thought from Hawaii residents or others, would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks so. Much,

Gladys

4 Replies 4
Scott256
Level 2
Williamsburg, VA

I received the same notice last night. I have listings in Maui and Kauai. My listings are a bit different from others as my listings are timeshare resorts and when my guests check in at the resort front desk, the resort actually collects these taxes from the guest. 

SandraandGary0
Level 3
Los Angeles, CA

Aloha! @Gladys5 and @Scott256 - I was just looking for information as I received an e-mail yesterday about the same legal notice of the Hawaii Department of Taxation. I was wondering what will happen now and if there is anything where we need to take action. Our listing is also a timeshare where the front desk collects occupancy tax. 

What happened later in your cases?

Thanks in advance! Mahalo!

Sandra

Gladys5
Level 2
Kailua-Kona, HI

Aloha, I must admit since the subpoena, I have not heard anything further. Quite honestly with the pandemic I haven’t given it much thought With the pandemic. I’m sorry I don’t have any additional information that could be helpful.

Did you guys find out ? I just receive an email from Airbnb I am in Florida. …