Summer 2022 release - Airbnb category issues

Clay0
Level 10
Denver, CO

Summer 2022 release - Airbnb category issues

Hello all,

Airbnb has released a new design for searching using Airbnb categories. I notice 2 that specifically  apply to my property: "Amazing views" and "Cabin". However, when I filter on these categories, one at a time, in my specific area, my property does not appear.

How does airbnb determine which properties fall into a specific category? And is there anything that can be done to get my property in a category? This is going to be problematic to Hosts if Customers are relying heavily on these category filters for searching and Airbnb is leaving out host properties that most definitely apply to those categories.

I'd like to see if others see the same issue when searching on categories that apply to yours properties in your specific area.

Thanks

129 Replies 129
Karen3330
Level 2
England, United Kingdom

I'm also having the same problem. My listing comes up in no categories at all. I think it will make my listing even harder to find as nobody is going to type in the specific area. Why cant airbnb add a feature for hosts to select which category/categories we want to fall under. I've mentioned beaches and lakeside and countryside in my listing.

Karen3330
Level 2
England, United Kingdom

Another thing I have to add is I've searched for a week in aug, sep, oct, nov and Dec.....which I know I have available dates. My listing doesn't even show up when you click all homes!!!!! I zoom right into the resort my static caravan is on and all the others show up except for mine. So now nobody can find my listing at all. This is not good, I'm so dissapointed.

@Karen3330 when I search it comes up on the first page of results

@Mike-And-Jane0  My caravan? Really? What did you search, or where? Or do you mean yours comes up in your search?

@Mike-And-Jane0 doesn't have a caravan, so he means yours @Karen3330.  I found it on the first page too.  Searched Cumbria -> week in July -> 2 guests, you appeared on the first page at position 8 for July 1st through 6th.

If you're new, relax.  People will find you.  

Karen3330
Level 2
England, United Kingdom

@Ann72  Thanks. I can’t even check if he has a caravan. My phone is awful to navigate any website. I’m so glad everyone else is finding it. Phew, had me worried there. When I searched on my PC this morning I kept finding nothing. Thanks for the help. 

@Karen3330 I looked on your profile and saw Driftwood Cottage which is the thing that came up on the search I did. If this isn't the one you are looking for then your other listing isn't listed.

Yes that’s the one. Thanks for looking. 

John5097
Level 10
Charleston, SC

After entering a specific destination, in my case, Charleston, and selecting "Any Weekend" or "Any Week" most of the category options zoom back out and suggest other listings over 100 miles away. This is an example of "Amazing Views" It only suggest listings for two beaches on the coast, one beach in Charleston, and one in Myrtle Beach, that are $600-$1200 per night. This also happens for Lake Front, National Parks, Country Side. 

Screen Shot 2022-05-16 at 1.49.21 PM.png

Another issue is that host in my area will upload picture of local attractions, such as a couple sitting at the beach, and check beach access in the amenities, when they are 10 miles from the beach, so the listings with actual amazing views would be much more default to find, if the category search was even remotely functional. I also don't want to check beach access when I'm 8 miles away although other host do in my area. 

Finally the beaches have a very limited number of rentals. The one they are featuring has 1000 short term rentals, while millions of visitors to the beach. Most don't stay at the beach but rather at centrally location within 10 miles. However the "beach" "beach front" "surfing" "amazing views" all for a very limited number of rentals. Guest are also only staying 3 nights as part of a multi stop trip. So this update seems to alienate most of the guest and host that rely on the platform. 

@John5097Similar thing happened to my house area. When I searched "Indialantic, Florida", then it will shows houses in that area including my house. it shows "649 stays". When I click "Amazing pools", it zoom out and including places about 2 hours drive away. It shows "over 1,000 amazing pools", it's hard to find my house anymore. I though when I pick a category, it should have much smaller number. it does not make sense!

Actually, after click "Amazing pools", all  "Indialantic, Florida" houses are not included at all. People want to rent "Indialantic, Florida" houses can't see any houses in that area.

Ah yes, I have seen many local listings that have photos of 'nearby' attractions, beaches, views (a panoramic view of a lake from a hiking trail, for example), so I would think this may affect the algorithm and possibly put them into an inaccurate category. 

Tracy1
Level 5
Bracebridge, Canada

Came here to find out why I can't assign a category to my listing, because I thought I was missing something when I clicked 'update your listing'! To find out that it is randomly 'curated' by the system, and that so many hosts are already having issues is very concerning.  
My listing is 'Hideaway in the Woods' (and yes I have seen that some searches show a generic 'entire cottage' instead of my title - NOT helpful),  I have many photos of the backyard, fire pit, trees/nature/wildlife, and the listing mentions many times that it is 200acres, mostly forested, 15min from town, etc etc... And yet I don't show up in 'Countryside'? I see that another local property is under the Countryside category, yet the very first line of that listing states "This in-town home..." and it is clearly on the map in the middle of town! 
I suppose to some people 'countryside' means open fields and rolling hills, but it is really defined as anything outside of a town or city, so it would be nice if my listing was 'curated' into that category.  I have just added that specific word to my listing to see if it will make a difference.

We too have the same problem.  Before the recent roll out of this new version, we were taking regular bookings each week and now the phone hasn't rung this last week at all! 

Our Andalusian casitas are definitely located in the 'countryside' and have 'amazing views'.  Yet despite mentioning these in the description text coupled with photos which ooze reference to these categories, they do not show up in any search when selecting such categories.  

This has clearly not been well thought out especially as hosts were not consulted for their opinions in advance and that we have no way of adding categories into our listing ourselves thereby making it easier to be found.  Just relying on Airbnb's AI to do it for you with a so-called update every two weeks is simply not good enough!

Furthermore, the more choice you give to someone, the harder it is to make a choice.  So by increasing the amount of listings for a guest to choose from (as is the stated aim here of the new roll out) will only create confusion in the public's mind.  

Surely the easiest solution would be to add a category lisiting field on a host's listings page so that all hosts can then choose which of the current 56 categories best describes their listing accurately.  Just a simple drop down box with all categories listed and the ability to tick which apply the most.  Then when a guest searches on selected categories, all relevant listings would show up instead of the random nonsense that currently exists.

Airbnb, please get this fixed asap.  Surely not beyond the wit of man (or AI) to fix this quite easily and fairly.

Emilie
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

@Angus-And-Sylvia0 Thanks for your feedback on Categories, how you'd like to see them evolve going forward, as well as how titles are displayed on the search page!

I've relayed all of your comments to the product team, and if I get more information or updates I will let you know here. 

Emilie

-----

Merci de jeter un oeil aux Principes du Community Center/ Please follow the Community Guidelines