Summer 2022 release - Airbnb category issues

Clay0
Level 10
Denver, CO

Summer 2022 release - Airbnb category issues

Hello all,

Airbnb has released a new design for searching using Airbnb categories. I notice 2 that specifically  apply to my property: "Amazing views" and "Cabin". However, when I filter on these categories, one at a time, in my specific area, my property does not appear.

How does airbnb determine which properties fall into a specific category? And is there anything that can be done to get my property in a category? This is going to be problematic to Hosts if Customers are relying heavily on these category filters for searching and Airbnb is leaving out host properties that most definitely apply to those categories.

I'd like to see if others see the same issue when searching on categories that apply to yours properties in your specific area.

Thanks

129 Replies 129

Thanks for getting back to me with your comments, Emilie.

The irony is that with this new roll out as it currently stands, Airbnb has defeated precisely the aim it seeks to create which is to bring yet more listings to the attention of potential guests.  Instead guests now cannot find all what they are looking for in the various categories as a lot of listings do not appear if the search criteria are based on categories alone: alot of listings are excluded from their relevant and respective categories.

Let's hope this matter gets resolved asap since clearly there is a lot of brouhaha about this topic as can be seen above.  

Please keep us informed as to developments and as to when this has been resolved.  

Hello Emilie

Further to our exchange above, I was wondering if you have heard back from your product team as to any input they might have?

I must say we have had much fewer bookings/enquiries in the last month since the new roll out.  I realise we are pretty much fully booked through to the end of September but I would still have expected bookings and/or enquiries for the odd days we have open between now and then like we were used to having before the new roll out.....

And another gripe: the description that appears under our listings when we come up on a search simply says 'Vacation home in Comares' instead of what we wrote in our listing title 'Charming cottage with pool and hot tub'.  Why the inconsistency?  Surley it would be better to leave the actual listing title below the photo appearing on a search instead of some bland text produced by Airbnb's AI.  This then creates a snippet of information in the mind of a guest which might help them to read further as opposed to such a bland line like 'Townhouse in Manchester' which doesn't tell you anything unusual about it at first glance to hook the guest into considering to delve deeper.

Emilie
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

@Angus-And-Sylvia0 Just wanted to let you know we've shared some actions we were taking based on Host feedback, including the fact that we will add back Host-written listing titles. You can read more about it here: 

https://www.airbnb.co.uk/resources/hosting-homes/a/host-questions-answered-airbnb-2022-summer-releas...

@Gesine11 @Michelle3088 You had feedback on this as well, so it might interest you too!

Thanks 🙂

Emilie

-----

Merci de jeter un oeil aux Principes du Community Center/ Please follow the Community Guidelines

Hello Emilie

Many thanks for coming back to us in your reply above.

I haven't yet had a chance to read the link thoroughly but I will do so in the coming day or two and then come back to you with any further thoughts.

Thank you again!  Angus and Sylvia

Hello Emilie

Just coming back to you to see if there is an update regarding the categories' field following on from your message of June 13th above :

"In addition to collaborating with the Host community to develop a process for creating new categories, we’re exploring ways to let you check what category your listing may be in. We’ll provide details in the months ahead".

Now that we are three months further down the line, is there any update you can share with us and the wider ABB community?

Thanks!  Angus & Sylvia Mackenzie

Hello Emilie

Sorry to bother you on this but I didn't get any response to my the last message I sent you above on 21 September.

Can you kindly provide some response even if there is nothing substantial to add at this point?

Thank you!  Angus & Sylvia

Emilie
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

@Angus-And-Sylvia0 Apologies for the late reply, I was away for a while and I've not caught up with all my mentions just yet - you're not bothering me at all 🙂

I do not have any further updates to share at this time, but should I get any news be assured that I'll share it here for you and everyone else interested. 

Thanks, 

Emilie

-----

Merci de jeter un oeil aux Principes du Community Center/ Please follow the Community Guidelines

@ Emilie 

Aloha, we are really struggling along with everyone here. We have three listings that are camper/rv's. Since the change, there is no more camper/rv, category in our state???? There are hundreds of camper/rv's on the market here. There is a new category called "camping," and I was advised by Airbnb customer service to change my listing to camping, which is false advertising. I also noticed that when I look under the camping category, mine still doesn't come up, and only 16 of the 76 rv's for rent on Maui are in that category. I have talked to several customer service reps who could not figure out why only those 16 come up in that (wrong, but closest to appropriate available) category.  The biggest issue is that this is a small family business. This is how we feed our kids! Our bookings are down, and it appears that nothing can be done about it????? This is very serious. This is our bread and butter. We were just about to buy a new camper to list, and now it is clearly not a good idea. Will there be anything done for hosts, when it is clear that we have all suffered major financial losses due to this mess?

@Emilie I think that if there is not enough man power to correctly categorize our listings, and algorithms are clearly not working, hosts should have a tool to select the exact categories that their listings belong in themselves. Also,  why would a category (camper/rv) that is heavily used locally, now not exist locally??? It still exists in other locations, but not here??? 

Emilie
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

@Maui-Camping-Vehicles0 Thanks for flagging that the camper/RV Category would be beneficial to add, I'll let the team know!

As I mentioned further up we are collecting and relaying all your feedback on the recent changes to the Product team, and we'll update you if we get more information or clarifications. I appreciate you sharing your thoughts and concerns here, I have passed on your comments as well now.

Thanks, 

Emilie

-----

JJ39
Level 2
Raleigh, NC

Hi @Emilie! Hoping you can help me figure out what I need to do to show up in the "Design" category in Raleigh NC. Here is a link to my listing: https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/54353023

There are other listings in the Raleigh area that don't have much of a design touch at all. We paid professional designers and I think it stands out well as a design-forward place to stay I just don't understand how the listings are chosen. The word design is in my listing multiple times and I have professional photos. Any tips would be greatly appreciated! 

Quincy
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Hi there @JJ39! The advice is to make sure your list of amenities and features is complete and current, and key features of your space are clearly depicted with high-quality photography. Homes in each category go through a curation process. Millions of active listings on Airbnb are evaluated using machine learning to analyse titles, descriptions, photo captions, structured data from Hosts, and reviews.

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines // Volg de communityrichtlijnen

What you are saying is simple BS…

there is something wrong!! I’ve been a Superhost/ AirbnbPlus for 5 years, renewing pictures, updating listing, etc etc

it has nothing to do, propertues are not showing 

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Quincy 

I've now seen this advice posted several times but it doesn't work because the AI doesn't work. 

Numerous hosts have already posted about their bookings completely drying up and their views plummeting, and not showing in the categories they should be in. Many of these hosts have very clearly done everything you suggest above. They have up to date amenities, the features 100% fit the category and they have stunning professional photography.

Meanwhile, there are listings showing up in the category searches that are completely irrelevant, often with rubbish photography. 

As for me, there's only one category that I can see that I fit into, which is shared homes. My listings don't show up and, as I have mentioned before, I have photos taken by Airbnb professional photographers. If those photos are not good enough for the AI, why are Airbnb employing those photographers?!

And, how many times should I have to mention the word 'shared home' in my listing? It's in the basic listing info that you have to fill in, so why can't the AI pick that up? It should be pretty obvious that a private room with shared bathrooms is a shared home. Plus, you can be sure that 'shared home' is not a term my guests will ever use in their reviews.

I don't even care that much if I show up in that category, although I feel very sorry for the hosts who should be in a specific category like beach front, for example, and aren't, while properties that are not beachfront show up. What I care about is that, even if guests can still search the traditional way, my views and bookings have been decimated by the Summer Release and no one can offer any meaningful advice on what I can do about it.