Summer 2022 release - Airbnb category issues

Clay0
Level 10
Denver, CO

Summer 2022 release - Airbnb category issues

Hello all,

Airbnb has released a new design for searching using Airbnb categories. I notice 2 that specifically  apply to my property: "Amazing views" and "Cabin". However, when I filter on these categories, one at a time, in my specific area, my property does not appear.

How does airbnb determine which properties fall into a specific category? And is there anything that can be done to get my property in a category? This is going to be problematic to Hosts if Customers are relying heavily on these category filters for searching and Airbnb is leaving out host properties that most definitely apply to those categories.

I'd like to see if others see the same issue when searching on categories that apply to yours properties in your specific area.

Thanks

129 Replies 129
Jack2098
Level 2
Long Beach, CA

I'd agree--with my human eyes--that JJ39's listing is design-forward.  Pretty much every host in this thread is dead on correct with what they've wrote here.

On our own listing we have actual reviews calling out our listing's amazing views.  We have marked in the listing as having a view, and wrote as much in the description.  Yet we are not in that category.  Mean while one near by listing that has not checked off having any views, has not called out having a view in the description, has no pictures of any long range views, and it's 2 reviews do not mention anything about views.  Yet this listing is one of the few in the area in that category.  What's going on here?

The category algorithm--of which this entire new experience is based--clearly does not work.  Can Airbnb do the one following 1) make it a priority to fix this obviously broken category algorithm, 2) allow host to self select 1-2 categories, or 3) document how the algorithm works and what it requires from the host.

FYI - we have not got a booking on Airbnb since this update.  We were previously booked every weekend through Airbnb.  BUT we did get a booking from a competitor site since this update, which rarely happens.  Which makes me curious how Airbnb overall is doing right now.   The next time we travel we'll be using another site.  This new category experience is really annoying.  You click on something and the maps zooms out to locations you have no desire to visit.  It's frustrating.

@Emilie Aloha again. It would be really helpful to know a timeframe for when we can expect some of this to be solved. 

Asli2
Level 2
Panama City Beach, FL

I have the same problem with my category not recognizing my listing. It's a boat, says 'boat' in the title, has photos of the boat and uses this keyword in the description, but not coming up for the 'boats' search results! My competition comes up, they've gotten all the bookings, so upsetting for me that things are not fair any more. 

In 'Listing Details' --> 'Property and rooms' --> 'Property Type,' I have marked my listing as a 'unique space,' then selected 'boat.' So the algorithm ought to recognize it's a boat. But it's not.  

HAS ANY OF YOU REALLY BEEN CURATED INTO THE RIGHT CATEGORY AFTER HAVING WAITED FOR 2 WEEKS as one moderators says here should occur?  Is this really happening, is Airbnb's new algorithm really requiring all new listings to lose 2 weeks of business to all of the older listings in that category? If so, what could be the point in such an algorithm? Why starve new unique space listings of bookings for 2 weeks? Unreasonable and illogical if it is the case, thanks for letting me know if you did get curated into the right category in 2 weeks.  

Rebecca1508
Level 2
Maeshafn, United Kingdom

I'm having the same issues dispite adjusting the wording in my description and picture titles.  The support line said they were applying the categorisation now manually!! The website says it's being done by an algorithm.  Maybe it's not working as I am now being categorised as a farm when my place is countryside with beautiful scenic views.  I hope the get it fixed soon or get the hosts to categorise themselves.  If not I am tempted to join another booking site like booking.com

Donald292
Level 1
Concord, CA

We are having the same issues. We have a cabin in the Smokey Mountains and a pool house near the Gulf of Mexico beaches in Seminole, FL. We haven’t gotten a single booking or inquiry since the update despite having close to 100% occupancy before the update. We are completely reliant on VRBO for bookings now, which used to be a tiny percentage for us. I guess we will need to find other options if AirBNB can’t figure their stuff out. If it ain’t broke don’t fix it.

This new system has devastated my listings.

SHL-Holdings0
Level 3
Oranjestad, Aruba

This new algorithm is an absolute disaster. My two Ocean/Beach Front Condos went from 1st page 800 views per week to 12 views and no bookings in 3 weeks. My property should be showing up under Beach front, amazing views and beach and nothing shows. I used to get two bookings every other day consistently to none since May 11. Customer service is powerless to help.

What is happening is really unaccetable, l have a houseboat wich does not show up when you clic on houseboat icon,my daily views have dropped from 80 to 12.Does anyone have any  new informatinion regarding this problem?

Martin263
Level 2
Cheltenham, United Kingdom

Really interesting reading this thread. Has there been any further updates? 

I still can’t believe why and how these changes were mentioned and given the green light…. 

‘hey guys, so we’re losing lots of customers because our prices are complicated and not displayed properly to guest, we’re also quite expensive at this point with our fees and there’s a lot of trust issues for guests re: last minute cancelations, non accurate listings and different standards from host to host - what should we do?’

’oh I know! Let’s get rid of the review count! Now guests will only draw their attention to the perfect 5 stars’

’but what if they only have one review?’

’doesn’t matter! 5 stars is 5 stars’

’lets get rid of the titles to! There’s un necessary information there and let’s replace with a location selected by our A.I’

’what if the A.I is wrong? Do you think there’s important information in the title?’

’doesn’t matter, if it’s wrong we will point them to a Villa in Italy… maybe they will book even though it’s 7000 miles away? You know - people work from home now and everyone is essentially a nomad’

’good point, what about the superhost label? Do we think guest value that?’

’nah let’s scrap that to and replace with rare find’ 

It’s bonkers to think that this is the way this company is headed but sadly, it’s true why didn’t they make categories that guests actually want? Like 1 bedroom, 2 bedroom ect? Filter by bed size? Now you’re filtering by if you want stay in a yurt or a friggin space **bleep**. Ridiculous. 

Louise1097
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

Yup, my guests want to know about the two bathrooms, not whether they can go to the Arctic in two clicks. They do not address the basics (try finding the bathrooms filter, there is one).

I’ve complaining to Airbnb for two weeks… 3 responses seems copy&paste may be is an automatic responder!!

categories is the biggest FIASCO EVER AND ruining business

All hosts should unite to do something about it!!

who is a lawyer

After almost a month, nothing has changed for me. My listing still can't be found in any categories.
In the general category, my farm has also been downgraded a bit (maybe AirBnB tries to promote lower priced listings). 

This new algorithm was meant to help people find places they maybe wouldn't have looked for - sounds perfect for our area, but it just does't work at all in southern Denmark. You literally only find 1 house with  a view and 2 beach properties.

I suggest that hosts can at least pick categories, and then this new AI can try to take it from there.
Would really appreciate an update!

Marcela563
Level 2
Indio, CA

I'm having the same issue and it's disconcerting that there are so many hosts that are being affected, and even more concerned that it seems as though a) Airbnb doesn't care about their hosts or b) does not even know how their own AI/ML works! My homes would always come up on the first page and now with these categories, my homes do not show up when I choose the pool category! There are listings coming up that do not have a pool or do have a pool but are not even in the same city i'm searching in...what's the point of that!? My page views have dropped nearly in half since the roll-out of this new feature. I can't believe that the only answer we can get at the moment is to take our best guest as to what will help our listings, pray we show up on the top page again after waiting two weeks...and if we don't; try again and wait another two weeks. Time is money and while we're left trying to figure this out with no guidance, we are losing money every day. 

I would really appreciate any sort of update and hope there's a solution quick.