Summer 2022 release - Airbnb category issues

Clay0
Level 10
Denver, CO

Summer 2022 release - Airbnb category issues

Hello all,

Airbnb has released a new design for searching using Airbnb categories. I notice 2 that specifically  apply to my property: "Amazing views" and "Cabin". However, when I filter on these categories, one at a time, in my specific area, my property does not appear.

How does airbnb determine which properties fall into a specific category? And is there anything that can be done to get my property in a category? This is going to be problematic to Hosts if Customers are relying heavily on these category filters for searching and Airbnb is leaving out host properties that most definitely apply to those categories.

I'd like to see if others see the same issue when searching on categories that apply to yours properties in your specific area.

Thanks

129 Replies 129

Complain in Brian Chesky Twitter, LinkedIn !! MAKE NOISE

The worse part, Airbnb doesn’t care

Complain to Brian Chesky, Twitter, LinkedIn 

make noise

it’s our business 

Kamini Dandapani is the VP of Engineering 

new in the position 

may be is the one who orchestrated everything.

plus Airbnb closed the case without responding 

We are having the same problem not showing up Lakeside, when we have the words, photos, descriptions, amenities checked properly, etc. Bookings have nearly come to a halt since the update. Not only is this impacting our hosting abilities, it impacts our cleaner who was used to a regular schedule and now we have to tell her it’s not that often. Agree with all the others who said hosts should get to choose categories and then they get vetted later, not vice versa! Please help us all, Airbnb. 
We called and still no changes made. 

Airbnb app doesn’t show ALL HOMES, so if you guess which category you’re may be you can find yourself!!

this is becoming ridiculous 

Like so many of you, I am also at a complete loss.  As loyal, responsible Airbnb hosts, we have worked hard to create something extraordinarily special for guests, we pay our housekeepers  2x the local rates and provide employment for local people for landscaping, maintenance etc. etc. We ensure the highest standards of care, cleanliness  and our own very personalized service, we have earned hundreds of 5 star reviews over the years and and recently we have had an average annual 93% booking rate with regular bookings, and now...crickets....nothing, not even an inquiry. 

We have hands down the most stunning views of any accommodation in Sedona.  There is no place like this, including the most exclusive hotels here. Yet we are barely listed under Amazing Views and instead there is a house sat in a meadow that shows up at the top  Sedona "Amazing Views" category.   This makes no sense!!!! 

Quite frankly it feels like the rug has been pulled out from under our feet.

Let the hosts determine the categories, the AI is clearly not working as you can tell from this  forum.  If someone posts something inaccurately then self-correction will take place as a result of the reviews.

We know change is hard, and understand the direction you are going but it is just not working and it is having such a palpable negative impact on your hosts as you can see here. 

Airbnb, we thought this was a partnership, right now this feels like a punishment.

Please let us know how you can support us to make this right.

Thank you,

Iona

Kate2199
Level 2
New York, NY

This is ridiculous. My home has no categories, despite qualifying for several, and I don't know how to add them. We have many openings during the busiest times of the year, despite lowering our prices. 

Worse, when I search for my house, I can't find it despite knowing it's there. 

We've been Airbnb exclusive until now, but we're going to be listing our home on other platforms.

It's simple. Airbnb refuse to remove irresponsible hosts (with incorrect property descriptions) as they would then lose out on the commission earned.

Instead, let's screw our responsible hosts who make Airbnb what it is.

Our views and bookings have plummeted.

Also, the new Airbnb 'algorithm' determines our home is a 'Flat'. So, our 4500sq ft luxury home that can accommodate up to 12 people is considered a 'Flat'. 

Shame on you Airbnb.

After weeks of talking with CS about the fiasco of Categories, I’ve realized that #AirbnbDONTCARE #categoriesmustgo

Margret32
Level 1
Palm Desert, CA

How do I get my listings into the amazing pool category?https://abnb.me/RfeF0k764qb

https://abnb.me/7aD1dHa74qb

You don’t!!! The new Airbnb release is that tje system do it automatically!!!! You CAN’T do anything and it’s NOT WORKING, plus everything two weeks it changes … automatically!!

that’s why we are trying to get together to be REMOVED.

it’s not necessary categories when guests can choose places by FILTERS 

Now if a guest wants to rent a place, in order to get your property it needs to specify look for your place.

instead of you search for example “Tulum” see ALL THE PROPERTIES available and start filtering according what you want, the NEW MESSY SUMMER RELEASE … if they filter first all the things your offer (MAY BE A FORTUNE TELLER) , may be your place will show up and you will be lucky enough to get rented.

no wonder why hotels are over the top selling now and VRBO has too many requests 

plus with taxes and everything… I think Airbnb is pushing people to hotels again

Laurie643
Level 2
Warner Springs, CA

I was unaware of the new approach and wondered why my four 5star listings have stopped getting the expected amount of  inquiries  . When I mentioned the slow down to another host, she told me about the changes.  If this trend continues,  I will move to the other platforms.