Hello all,

Airbnb has released a new design for searching using Airbnb categories. I notice 2 that specifically  apply to my property: "Amazing views" and "Cabin". However, when I filter on these categories, one at a time, in my specific area, my property does not appear.

How does airbnb determine which properties fall into a specific category? And is there anything that can be done to get my property in a category? This is going to be problematic to Hosts if Customers are relying heavily on these category filters for searching and Airbnb is leaving out host properties that most definitely apply to those categories.

I'd like to see if others see the same issue when searching on categories that apply to yours properties in your specific area.

Thanks

61 Replies

Re: Summer 2022 release - Airbnb category issues

Online Community Manager in
London, United Kingdom
Online Community Manager

Hi @Patricia2634

I've done a quick test on one of your properties, which came first for me when entering dates:

Screenshot 2022-05-19 at 16.55.41.png

That being said, I can only see very limited availability in your calendar - for a flexible search without dates, your listing is more likely to appear higher in results the more availability you have. There's more information about this here🙂

Either way, I will pass on your feedback to the team, thank you!

Emilie

Vous ne trouvez pas ce que vous cherchez ? Cliquez ici pour Cliquez ici pour démarrer une conversation!

Can't find what you're looking for? Click here to start a conversation!

in
Penngrove, CA
Level 10

Once again Airbnb rolls out new shiny objects without researching how it all works 

in
Ham, Belgium
Level 2

@Stephanie  I also have the same issue.  Our tiny house is not being listed under tiny house category.

This is not a good thing. Since Tiny Houses are very popular these days.

in
San Luis Obispo, CA
Level 2

@Stephanie Why have the titles changed for our listings? Instead of "Peaceful Cottage in an Olive Grove" I now have "Cottage in San Luis Obispo." That is not going to sell anything. I'm 10 miles outside of town. Hosts have worked hard to come up with descriptive titles to spark a prospective guest's interest, and now it's all generic blandness. What can we do?

London, United Kingdom
Online Community Manager

@Chris1866 This change only applies in the flexible category search. Everything displays as normal on any other stay search, and when a guest accesses your listing from the categories screen as well. 🙂

Vous ne trouvez pas ce que vous cherchez ? Cliquez ici pour Cliquez ici pour démarrer une conversation!

in
San Luis Obispo, CA
Level 2

I searched on San Luis Obispo for specific dates and got the generic listing heading.

London, United Kingdom
Online Community Manager

@Chris1866 I've just tried it out and it seems to display your original title as normal now, so everything seems to be working ok!

Screenshot 2022-05-12 at 15.23.35.png

in
San Luis Obispo, CA
Level 2

Thanks for your input. Here's what I get when I search. I'd like the Peaceful Cottage title to show on a search like this. I really don't see the point of changing the titles. Airbnb search.jpg

London, United Kingdom
Online Community Manager

@Chris1866 Thanks for the screenshot, I now understand we were looking at different search pages! I've mentioned it previously, this is how it currently work in Categories, and I've relayed your feedback to the team. 

in
Backnang, Germany
Level 2

I have the same problem. Please change the titles back!

in
Springfield, MO
Level 2

@Chris1866  @Emilie  @Stephanie That's my problem, because my house does not fit in any of the categories. When guests see my listing, they are missing out on vital information! My home is all about easy access for travelers, which is clearly listed in the title. From the flexible search, they only see "entire home." They have to click on the listing to know the excellent location for travelers. This is causing potential guests from overlooking my space. I would like Airbnb to allow us to have our full titles show up in all searches, just like they did before the rollout.

London, United Kingdom
Online Community Manager

@Michelle3088 I've passed this on, along with @Gesine11's and everyone else's in the thread's feedback, to the team. Thank you!

in
United States
Level 3

My cottages are lakefront.  I searched my area for lakefront and they don't show up!  You created this mess and you need to fix it.

London, United Kingdom
Online Community Manager

@Steve59  In addition to the advice I share further up on how to have improve the chances of your listing getting highlighted in a Category, I wanted to share that Categories are currently updated roughly every two weeks and are curated based on where guests are located. This means that just because you do not show up one week, does not mean you will not show up at all. 🙂

In the meantime, any guest searching for properties in your area can still find your listing as per usual. Categories only filter listing when guests make a flexible search. 

in
United States
Level 3

Oh that's just great!  I have very seasonal cottages.  Almost all of our guests stay between Memorial Day and Labor Day, and we are just starting our season.  Now you roll out a "feature" that blocks my cottages from anyone looking for "lakefront" rentals.  Maybe airbnb should fix this latest disaster!