Super Host Needs Help

L-L-0
Level 1
Grandy, NC

Super Host Needs Help

The Great White Hall was an Airbnb that was devoted to making a difference in the community. We provided a BnB with the highest quality rooms that benefit all residents in our county and surrounding areas, such as Hampton Roads and Washington DC. GWH was an inexpensive alternative for a quick business or casual stay.

This was also a home to the owner, her daughter, and two grandsons, under age 3.

OBX Voice article: 

On the night of March 4, Laura Stalls had fallen asleep on the couch of the century-old farmhouse in Grandy she had renovated into “The Great White Hall” Airbnb bed & breakfast inn more than five years earlier. Due to COVID-19, Stalls hadn’t had guests at the inn for the past year, and Stalls’ daughter, Alexandra (Alex) Stalls, and two grandchildren – two-year-old James and one-year-old Lincoln Herslow, who moved in to stay safe from the pandemic, were asleep upstairs.

Shortly after midnight, Stalls woke to a loud bang in the back of the house, a noise she would quickly discover was a window being blown out from a fire that had erupted as she and her family slept. A harrowing 15 minutes followed as Stalls screamed for Alex and eventually ran up the stairs, through flames, to reach her daughter and the two grandsons upstairs.

My steps to go upstairs are right at the back door, at the back porch of the house,” Stalls recalled during a Voice interview. “The flames were coming in and the only thing I could do was go through them to get to Alex and the babies. I was screaming and screaming, and they couldn’t hear me…I mean it sounded like a freight train, it was so loud.”

What ensued was a dramatic and brave rescue, with dropping babies from roof, that ended up with Alexandra and her two sons uninjured, but with Stalls in Sentara Norfolk General Hospital with burns, some of them third-degree burns, covering about 20% of her body. After undergoing two skin graft surgeries, she was released exactly three weeks from the date of the fire. 

We ask that you consider supporting our cause. We only got out with the clothes on our backs and all of the business and personal belongings were destroyed. Your donation will help ensure the success of our future and help us rebuild what we have lost and most importantly, to keep our family together during these very trying times.

We thank you for your consideration of our request, and thank you for any help you can give!

Sincerely,

Laura **

To help, please send donations to this address:

**[Sensitive information removed in line with - Community Center Guidelines]

1 Reply 1
L-L-0
Level 1
Grandy, NC