Super host & Cancellation

Answered!
Maria1145
Level 2
Rome, Italy

Super host & Cancellation

Hi guys, 

I need some support: I have been trying to look for clarifications on this but I have not succeded.

So, on 1st Jan 2018 I will become Super Host as I have met all the requirements.

However, I have 2 bokings already for May 2018 and I may have to cancel them as I have found out that my building is going to start some renovation in the next couple of months.

If I do cancel these bookings, will my Super Host status will be deleted?

It seems like that my superhost badge is an evaluation on my past performance (which has been great) so it is not clear whether future cancellations may automatically imply the removal of my badge straight away.

I hope I have been clear.

Looking forward to your clarifications and support!

Many thanks!

Maria

1 Best Answer
Peter618
Level 10
Chur, Switzerland

@Maria1145

If you wait with cancellation till after 1st of jan you will be superhost for 3 months.

Then the next 3 months you will wont be superhost because of the cancellations happening in the 1st quarter.

https://www.airbnb.com/help/article/832/can-i-lose-my-superhost-status

View Best Answer in original post

10 Replies 10
Peter618
Level 10
Chur, Switzerland

@Maria1145

If you wait with cancellation till after 1st of jan you will be superhost for 3 months.

Then the next 3 months you will wont be superhost because of the cancellations happening in the 1st quarter.

https://www.airbnb.com/help/article/832/can-i-lose-my-superhost-status

@Peter618, Thank you very much! I was expecting indeed something like this, it does make sense, I just could not find the answer the way you have put it.

Thanks again a ton!

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

Sorry @Peter618 advice is not correct at all.

@Maria  plesae read up on how Airbnb's Superhost status works and also Extenuating Circumstances on the Airbnb Help Centre.

It would not be fair for you to wait till January to cancel the bookings when you know you can't host someone.

From what you say you can cancel these May bookings under the Extenuating Circumstances policy for hosts.

Contact Airbnb and tell them what has happened and they can advise you about how to do this.

This will mean that you will keep your Superhost Status (assuming you get it).

Gill50
Level 2
Hope Valley, United Kingdom

I was absolutely outraged to learn that l have lost my super host status following 2 cancellations I was forced to make during the horrific weather we suffered during the ( beast of the east, )

We farm in a rural area in the Peak District the weather was truly brutal, as was a large portion of the country , we were advised not to attempt to travel, we had drifts of three metres it was impossible to move around!!!! I acted in the best safest interest of my guests,

I feel I am being punished for doing the right thing, 

i would welcome any advice please, I am gutted, I don’t feel I deserve this as l go the extra mile for my guest and throughly enjoy the experience .

@Gill50 if you cancelled due to extreme weather, you probably qualified for Extenuating Circumstances.

• Significant natural disasters or severe weather incidents impacting the location of destination or location of departure

https://www.airbnb.com/help/article/1320/what-if-i-need-to-cancel-because-of-an-emergency-or-unavoid...

Contact Airbnb support and explain the weather-related reason for the cancellations and ask if they can make the cancellations penalty-free.

Stephanie600
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

Also, never cancel yourself in the first place. Let your guests do it or go to Airbnb and let them do it instead.

Ian369
Level 1
London, United Kingdom

The cancellation policy is too restrictive.  I had to cancel a booking as I was moving out of the property and was deemed to have lost my superhost status which I have held for 10 consecutive periods! Airbnb did agree to not cancel my status on a one off basis. The policy has clearly changed as I have had to cancel in the past , all for very good reasons but under this policy would have meant I lost my super host status. I also don’t believe the change was clearly communicated. That is however secondary the point is it is too restrictive and out of balance. The effort it takes to get and maintain super host status is hugely different to a cancellation given nearly a month before the guest arrived. I am sure if it was an appartment or hotel it would not have been so restrictive.

Caroline31
Level 2
Cambridge, MA

I too find it very restrictive and unfair on hosts to be stripped of their super host status after one cancellation, which I had to do for extenuating circumstances.  Before cancelling, I made a big effort to find other accommodations for my guest and forwarded those references to them.

On another occasion, perhaps I was the "innocent victim" when my guest asked me to cancel for him/her.

It does not seem fair to lose superhost status for extremely restrictive reasons Airbnb imposes upon us. 

This year I had 4 cancellations from clients - they do not get penalized the way we do and it is a big inconvenience for us as well!

Airbnb must understand that we do the best we can, especially as super hosts.  It is not fair to strip us of that status just for one extenuating circumstance when guests can cancel for lesser reasons.  Please revise your rules Airbnb.

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

Sorry I can't agree with you @Caroline31

If a guest asked you to cancel then you should have explained that you couldn't as you would get penalised, so they needed to cancel themselves

With the second cancellation if there were extenuating circumstances as you know you could have cancelled providing proof and Airbnb would have penalised you.

That being the case I am not sure why either of these situations would have caused you to lose your superhost status.

Can you explain?

I cannot give you a legitimate explanation nor has Airbnb given me one either.  I shall attempt to speak to someone via telephone rather than wait for an email.

Also, I have to know from them why future guests can cancel so easily, causing us an equal inconvenience of possibly not being able to others to fill those empty dates.